[comp.unix.ultrix] A Plea to Mailing / News Forwarding List Maintainers

It appears that there a number of sites gatewaying the comp.unix.ultrix
newsgroup into mailing lists.  This is fine, however some of them are
not taking adequate precautions about either errors or out of date
information in their redistribution lists.

This results in a number of problems:

1) the poster of the article receives "error messages" about mail delivery
   to some random site in the universe.  He donsn't care and can't do
   anything about it.

2) articles with bad addresses or otherwise mangled header information
   loop in the redistibution lists or back into the newsgroup resulting
   in (sometimes multiply) duplicated postings.

If you run such a gateway, please make sure that when you forward the
usenet articles, that the headers are improved such that errors are
returned to the postmaster or list maintainer at the forwarding site
and not to the original poster or the list itself.

I don't claim to be an expert in network mailers, however the following
are probably adequate to cover most cases:

1) Delete the "From:" header line and replace it with one like:
   "From: ultrix-list-errors@gateway.site" or some other alias for the
   list maintainer or a data sink.  The "Reply-To:" header contains the
   information needed for _people_ to send mail to to original poster.

2) Add the unofficial, but often effective "Errors-To:" header line,
   with the same sort of information.

3) Try not mess with the original "Message-Id:" header since this
   prevents duplication if the article re-enters the usenet news
   system.  This may or may not be possible depending on your mailer.

The bad guys recently have been:

decuac / info-ultrix-fwd - sending back messages about non-existant
				users and systems.

carleton.ca / ca.gateway - sending back messsages about network
				congestion and such problems.

eurokom? - shows up the "Message-Id:" of one very mangled article
		that is apparently looping in some of the distribution
		lists or at least being (mis)delivered multiple times.

I will attempt to copy this to the postmasters at decuac and carleton.ca,
however there is nothing I can do about the looping article, hopefully it
will vanish of it's own accord sooner or later.

As usual, comments about or corrections to this posting are appreciated...

steve@fnord.umiacs.umd.edu (Steve D. Miller) (08/14/89)

   If you're trying to hack headers to make sure that mail/news bounces go
back where they belong, I'd suggest using the RFC 822 Sender:  line rather
than Errors-To:.  The former is standard, while the latter is not.  The
former works pretty well, too; on a large (> 500 users) mailing list I run,
on which I put a Sender:  line in the header, submitters usually don't see
any bounces.

   Hacking the From: line may or may not be worth it.  I don't, but that's
just me.

   If you want a copy of the software I use to hack headers on mailing lists,
anonymous FTP out to fnord.umiacs.umd.edu (128.8.120.3, for those living in
the host-table-based past), and grab pub/distribute.tar.  A compressed
version is also available.

	-Steve

Spoken: Steve Miller    Domain: steve@mimsy.umd.edu    UUCP: uunet!mimsy!steve
Phone: +1-301-454-1808  USPS: UMIACS, Univ. of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742

In article <19062@mimsy.UUCP> steve@umiacs.umd.edu (Steve D. Miller) writes:

>    If you're trying to hack headers to make sure that mail/news bounces go
> back where they belong, I'd suggest using the RFC 822 Sender:  line rather
> than Errors-To:.  The former is standard, while the latter is not.  The
> former works pretty well, too; on a large (> 500 users) mailing list I run,
> on which I put a Sender:  line in the header, submitters usually don't see
> any bounces.
>
>    Hacking the From: line may or may not be worth it.  I don't, but that's
> just me.

I don't have any real problem with your comments, however there is some
question about which header lines survive gateways into VMS mailer(s).
I know the From: line makes it 8-).  The Sender: stuff makes sense,
however looking briefly at RFC822 didn't really reveal much about the
semantics - whether it would serve to redirect error messages or whether
it served mostly as a comment entry.  I dug around a bit in sendmail and
mostly ended up with a headache.

Happily, the problems seem to have gone away for the moment!