[comp.unix.ultrix] Swapping and Ultrix 3.0

gary@mehlville.ncsa.uiuc.edu (Gary Faulkner) (08/17/89)

This is not documented anywhere, but I wonder if it is possible anyway.

I have a VaxStation II with an RD54.  I currently swap to the "b" partition
on this drive (16 meg).  I would like (need) more swap space without buying
an additional disk drive.  My root and usr partitions are also on this drive,
and basically full.  Is there ANY way I can swap to the "b" partition and also
to a swap file on a remote machine? (in other words, is there any way to
configure it that it thinks it is a diskless system, while still swapping
locally?

Thanks...

Gary Faulkner
University of Illinois

Internet: garyf@mehlville.ncsa.uiuc.edu

Disclaimer:  I've only stated my opinion, not anyone elses.

heins@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Leeland Heins) (08/18/89)

In article <1792@garcon.cso.uiuc.edu> gary@mehlville.ncsa.uiuc.edu (Gary Faulkner) writes:
>This is not documented anywhere, but I wonder if it is possible anyway.
>
>I have a VaxStation II with an RD54.  I currently swap to the "b" partition
>on this drive (16 meg).  I would like (need) more swap space without buying
>an additional disk drive.  My root and usr partitions are also on this drive,
>and basically full.  Is there ANY way I can swap to the "b" partition and also
>to a swap file on a remote machine? (in other words, is there any way to
>configure it that it thinks it is a diskless system, while still swapping
>locally?

   Bleagh.  You don't want to swap over a net.  It will seriously hose
performance both of your local machine and the network throughput.
   I'd say you'd be better off blowing away some of the stuff you don't
use often on the / or /usr partitions and accessing them across the net in
the rare instances you need them.  You could then shrink the /usr partition
and enlarge the swap space.
   We generally blow away as much stuff as we can on systems with small
drives and use compress on as much stuff as possible that we do keep.  Compress
can buy you quite a lot of space sometimes.
   Really you'd be better off just biting the bullet and getting another
drive or replacing the RD54 with a larger drive...  Painful to the pocketbook
but worth it in the long run.

>Gary Faulkner
>National Center for Supercomputing Applications
>University of Illinois
>
>Internet: garyf@mehlville.ncsa.uiuc.edu
>
>Disclaimer:  I've only stated my opinion, not anyone elses.

  //|||\\   "Attack of the killer 	Lee Heins, EXNET Programmer
 //-O-O-\\   mutant techno-hippies	Iowa State U. Extension
 ||  v  ||   from Hell"			heins@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu
 || === ||				...!hplabs!hp-lsd!atanasoff!heins
 || --- ||
/// `|' \\\				Disclaimer: I speak for myself only.

In article <1792@garcon.cso.uiuc.edu> gary@mehlville.ncsa.uiuc.edu (Gary Faulkner) writes:

> I have a VaxStation II with an RD54.  I currently swap to the "b" partition
> on this drive (16 meg).  I would like (need) more swap space without buying
> an additional disk drive.  My root and usr partitions are also on this drive,
> and basically full.  Is there ANY way I can swap to the "b" partition and also
> to a swap file on a remote machine? (in other words, is there any way to
> configure it that it thinks it is a diskless system, while still swapping
> locally?

It seems you might be able to do this, since the "swap-type" is maintained
on a per swap area basis.  That doesn't mean it isn't "broken" in some
excruciating way.  Also, assuming it did work, it might not give you the
"local" swapping effect you want, since the system supposedly attempts to
distribute swapping over all the swap areas to minimize seek bottlenecks.

You may want to also look at whether you are "wasting" swap area to an
unneccssary extreme - vmmin * gettytab entries can be expensive and you
may be able to cut things by playing with vmmin or getting rid of excess
login entries.  On the other hand, if you are trying to support numerous
copies of gnuemacs or windowing sillyness, tuning is pretty futile.

As others have suggested, getting another disk or a bigger drive is probably
the best long-term solution.  You'll be happier in all ways.  Third party
vendors will give you a much better deal than DEC for add-on drives.