[comp.unix.ultrix] DEC Email Addresses

frank@croton.dec.com (Frank Wortner) (08/21/89)

= Finally, I've had pretty good luck with sending E-mail to people inside
= DEC, including the support center people.  All of DEC internal seems to
= be on a flat addressed net called E-net.  If your system supports domain
= style addresses and you want to send mail to person@node, then mail to
= person@node.dec.com works.  If not, then you need to go thru one of the
= gateways, either decuac or decwrl.  In this case, adresses of the form
= ...!decuac!node.dec.com!person or ...!decuac!node.enet!person seem to
= work.  If your system can be accessed by a domain style address, they have
= no problem sending mail back to you, otherwise you may have a problem...

If you aren't reachable via a domain address, please enclose a WORKING path
from decwrl.  I've had quite a few messages end up undelivered because some
machine somewhere had never heard of its supposed neighbor.

					Frank

					frank@croton.dec.com
					...!decwrl!croton.dec.com!frank

michaud@decvax.dec.com (Jeff Michaud) (08/22/89)

> Finally, I've had pretty good luck with sending E-mail to people inside
> DEC, including the support center people.  All of DEC internal seems to
> be on a flat addressed net called E-net.  If your system supports domain
> style addresses and you want to send mail to person@node, then mail to
> person@node.dec.com works.  If not, then you need to go thru one of the
> gateways, either decuac or decwrl.  In this case, adresses of the form
> ...!decuac!node.dec.com!person or ...!decuac!node.enet!person seem to
> work.  If your system can be accessed by a domain style address, they have
> no problem sending mail back to you, otherwise you may have a problem...

	FWIW, the new syntax is

		person@node.enet.dec.com

	BTW, E-net (which is short for Easynet, but used to stand for
	Engineering Net a long time ago) is, for the most part, DEC's
	internal DECnet network (30,000+ nodes in size as last officially
	reported).

	Also, decwrl is the prefered gateway to/from the easynet ...
--
/--------------------------------------------------------------\
|Jeff Michaud    michaud@decwrl.dec.com  michaud@decvax.dec.com|

xm13@sdcc12.ucsd.EDU (warren young) (08/23/89)

To the NET:

I have been trying to make a new Ultrix 3.0 kernel for a non-Digital
device driver.  The make has succeeded in the past with v1.2 and
2.2, but oddly with 3.0, certain common kernel I/O routines are not
found.  Everything compiles fine as usual, but when loading,
routines such as copyin, copyoutl splx, splclock cannot be found.
I've gone through every conceivable object file and archive with
strings and grep looking for clues on the missing files, and find
nothing except comments to copyin and copyout in /usr/sys/h/ms.h and
in /usr/sys/vax/inline/inline.  A call to Ultrix support group
does not help too much.  And the local guys don't understand.

What's going on?  Does anyone know where these are so I can load
them in?  Why did it change?

Thanks in advance.

Warren Young
Scripps Research Institute

In article <922@sdcc12.ucsd.EDU> xm13@sdcc12.ucsd.edu.UUCP (warren young) writes:

> I have been trying to make a new Ultrix 3.0 kernel for a non-Digital
> device driver.  The make has succeeded in the past with v1.2 and
> 2.2, but oddly with 3.0, certain common kernel I/O routines are not
> found.  Everything compiles fine as usual, but when loading,
> routines such as copyin, copyoutl splx, splclock cannot be found.
> I've gone through every conceivable object file and archive with
> strings and grep looking for clues on the missing files, and find
> nothing except comments to copyin and copyout in /usr/sys/h/ms.h and
> in /usr/sys/vax/inline/inline.  A call to Ultrix support group
> does not help too much.  And the local guys don't understand.

Life can get amusing.

> What's going on?  Does anyone know where these are so I can load
> them in?  Why did it change?

It looks like the Ultrix folks have adoped the BSD vax/inline type
program that uses an extra processing step between the C compiler
and the assembler to replace commonly used subroutines by inline
code.  Luckily, it appears that the inline program is provided and
there are some prototype lines in the makefile that show how to use
the inline program.

If everything is working, you should be able to put your source file
in /sys/vaxuba (or whichever), create a file named /sys/conf/files.YOURSYS
with a line in it for your driver and do a make.  If not, then you're
going to have to wing it.  Note that there have been changes in the kernel
"memory allocation" routines, so you might have to change your driver
source if you get into these.

To see what routines are implemented by the inline program, try:

strings /usr/include/vax/inline/inline | grep '^[0-9][a-f],_' | more

Have fun!