[comp.unix.ultrix] 3rd Party SCI Disks

steve@avalon.dartmouth.edu (Steve Campbell) (08/23/89)

We are considering purchasing a larger DEC RISC processor (5810), and
are thinking of buying 3rd party disks.  Emulex offers a disk stack
containing their SD891 drives, which are CDC drives with an Emulex
module attached.  Emulex claims that the result is an MSCP/SDI-
compatible unit that can be controlled by the KDB50 just like a DEC
drive such as an RA90.  Would anyone care to comment on whether this
will work under Ultrix 3.X?  If not, why not?

We have also heard that although the KDB50 can nominally run up to 4
disk drives, there is a performance penalty if more than 2 are connected.
Again, can anyone comment?  Any specific figures on the penalty?

							Steve Campbell
							Dartmouth College

In article <15166@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> steve@avalon.dartmouth.edu (Steve Campbell) writes:
> We are considering purchasing a larger DEC RISC processor (5810), and
> are thinking of buying 3rd party disks.  Emulex offers a disk stack
> containing their SD891 drives, which are CDC drives with an Emulex
> module attached.  Emulex claims that the result is an MSCP/SDI-
> compatible unit that can be controlled by the KDB50 just like a DEC
> drive such as an RA90.  Would anyone care to comment on whether this
> will work under Ultrix 3.X?  If not, why not?

Basically, if the drives/controller emulate *exactly* a standard DEC drive,
then it should work.  If they make like some kind of generic MSCP disk with
random size, they may work.  If not, especially if Ultrix doesn't see the
drives as *normal*, you may have a real uphill battle.

I'd advise a traditional approach: get a least one DEC drive so that you
can build/boot the system without adventure and so that DEC needn't be
confused by compatibility issues.  Second, make sure that you can arrange
to return the 3-rd party drives if you are unable to get them to work
with Ultrix in a finite length of time - make sure the decision is up to
*you*, not the vendor or resaler.

Warning: Emulex technical support knows next to nothing about Unix and
less about Ultrix.  Obtain references or a commitment for an Emulex
engineer to be available to resolve problems...

Maybe someone else has already been brave, and you need not worry about
these things.  I put an Emulex/CDC Sabre setup on a VAX 785 and found it
a do-it-yourself adventure, plus more fun each major release.

> We have also heard that although the KDB50 can nominally run up to 4
> disk drives, there is a performance penalty if more than 2 are connected.
> Again, can anyone comment?  Any specific figures on the penalty?

I hadn't heard that, but I'd be curious about any responses you get.

> Steve Campbell - Dartmouth College
				^
				\--<  get a source license, you lucky dog!  8-)

alan@shodha.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) (08/23/89)

In article <15166@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU>, steve@avalon.dartmouth.edu (Steve Campbell) writes:
> We are considering purchasing a larger DEC RISC processor (5810), and
> are thinking of buying 3rd party disks.  Emulex offers a disk stack
> containing their SD891 drives, which are CDC drives with an Emulex
> module attached.  Emulex claims that the result is an MSCP/SDI-
> compatible unit that can be controlled by the KDB50 just like a DEC
> drive such as an RA90.  Would anyone care to comment on whether this
> will work under Ultrix 3.X?  If not, why not?

	It may work as a data disk.  It may not work as a system
	disk.  Why?  Ultrix only supports DEC drives.  If 3rd
	party drives work, fine; if not, take it up with the 3rd
	party.  Previous experience with V3.0 and the VAX has
	shown that VMB doesn't get along with 3rd party emulations
	of MSCP disks.  The boot path on the 58xx may not be as
	limited, but there is some advantage of putting the system
	disk on a supported disk.

> We have also heard that although the KDB50 can nominally run up to 4
> disk drives, there is a performance penalty if more than 2 are connected.
> Again, can anyone comment?  Any specific figures on the penalty?

	Doing a simple sequential read of a large file on an RA90
	connected to a KDB50 on my VAX 8800 I can get around 800
	KB per second (one disk).  When I add a 2nd disk the per
	disk goes to around 450, and the total to around 900.  For
	three disks the total averages in the upper 900's.  With
	all four disks going it's about 1000 KB/sec.  In each case
	the "per drive" bandwidth was in proportion to the number
	of drives.

	The performance you see will depend on the application.  If
	there isn't much seeking going on you're doing sequential
	reads of large files then the numbers I gave may be useful.
	There were the results of an exceptionally simple minded
	experiment that I ran while composing this follow.  They
	should be taken as an official performance study given by
	DIGITAL.  Your mileage may vary depending on the configuation
	and application.
--
Alan Rollow				alan%nabeth.dec.com@decwrl.dec.com

alan@shodha.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) (08/24/89)

In article <389@shodha.dec.com>, alan@shodha.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) writes:

> 	experiment that I ran while composing this follow.  They
> 	should be taken as an official performance study given by
        ^^^^^^
> 	DIGITAL.  Your mileage may vary depending on the configuation
> 	and application.
> --
> Alan Rollow				alan%nabeth.dec.com@decwrl.dec.com

	I my previous follow up I forgot a word.  That sentence should
	have read:

	They should NOT be taken as an official preformance study
	given by DIGITIAL.

	Your mileage of course will still vary...
--
Alan Rollow				alan%nabeth.dec.com@decwrl.dec.com