[comp.unix.ultrix] HELP!! Problems Installing Ultrix on a DECstation 3100

evans@stsci.EDU (Ian Evans) (08/09/89)

We have just purchased 5 new DECstations 3100'sand are having a lot of problems
trying to get Ultrix up and running.  Can anyone suggest what we are doing
wrong?  Could we have a bad distribution?  Or are we doing something silly?
We are installing from TK50 onto an RZ55, and all the hardware checks out and
completes its self-test successfully.

We can install Ultrix V3.0/UWS V2.0 (both the supported and unsupported
software) without any problems.  We installed ALL of the options.  The system
then comes up with a two user license and the banner at boot time says Ultrix
V3.0;  however, looking in the configuration file shows a line defining the
version as Ultrix V3.0a-FT1.  This seems a little odd, especially considering
the later behavior.

We then install a capacity upgrade to 8 users.  This goes OK, and them system
comes up supporting 8 users.

We then attempt to install the Ultrix 3.1/UWS 2.1 update.  The first problem
here is that our media and doc kit didn't include the Installation Guide and
Release Notes mentioned in the cover letter.  What we did was to do a
/etc/setld -l /dev/rmt0h which seemed to work an gave us a list of options
to install.  We asked it to install ALL options.  It proceeded, and then
complained that it could not install the V3.1 diskless client support option
because we had not installed the V3.0 version of this option.  However, we
had installed all the options off the V3.0 tape we have.  I checked the
contents of the V3.0 tape, and there was not an option of the specified name
on the tape.

Anyway, after completing this (and not having the V3.1 installation guide)
we rebuilt the kernel and rebooted.  This time the system came up and said
"System Supports 8 Users", and then promptly died while starting the daemons
saying "Login Limit Reached".  When it finally came up all the way (without
the daemons) we had a system with a login limit of 0.  Root could log in on
the console only, but that was all.  We then tried reinstalling the 8 user
license upgrade (and it said it installed successfully), but ended up with
exactly the same situation.

We are stuck.  Any ideas from anyone who's been through this?  Are we doing
something utterly silly?

For your information, the part numbers on the TK50's we are using are as
follows:

Ultrix WS V2.0 (RISC) SUPPORTED              AQ-MM11A-BE
Ultrix WS V2.0 (RISC) UNSUPPORTED            AQ-MM12A-BE
U-32 V3.1/UWS V2.1 (RISC) UPD                AQ-NJ46A-BE
Ultrix-32 V2.0 8USR TK50                     AQ-JU87A-BE

Any suggestions would be most helpful.

Thanks,
Ian Evans                                      phone:          (301) 338-4756
Space Telescope Science Institute           internet:  evans@scivax.stsci.edu
3700 San Martin Drive                         bitnet:             evans@stsci
Baltimore,  MD 21218                            span:           scivax::evans

In article <704@stsci.edu> evans@stsci.EDU (Ian Evans) writes:
> We have just purchased 5 new DECstations 3100'sand are having a lot of problems
> trying to get Ultrix up and running.  Can anyone suggest what we are doing
> wrong?...
>
> We can install Ultrix V3.0/UWS V2.0 (both the supported and unsupported
> software) without any problems.
>
> We then attempt to install the Ultrix 3.1/UWS 2.1 update.  The first problem
> here is that our media and doc kit didn't include the Installation Guide and
> Release Notes mentioned in the cover letter.  What we did was to do a
> /etc/setld -l /dev/rmt0h which seemed to work an gave us a list of options
> to install.  We asked it to install ALL options.

I think perhaps you don't want to install "all" the upgrade, rather just
those things that have "UWS" in their names...  Give it a try, and beat
on DEC for the 3.1 release notes...

Disclaimer:  No 3100's (yet) and no UWS here.

mellon@zayante.pa.dec.com (Ted Lemon) (08/12/89)

The main thing to be sure of is that you have the system in single
user mode before you do the setld.   Otherwise, a lot of running
images don't get updated, to your system's detriment.

			       _MelloN_

rusty@garnet.berkeley.edu (08/15/89)

   From: evans@stsci.EDU (Ian Evans)
   Newsgroups: comp.unix.ultrix,comp.sys.dec
   Subject: HELP!!  Problems Installing Ultrix on a DECstation 3100
   Date: 9 Aug 89 14:51:28 GMT

   Anyway, after completing this (and not having the V3.1 installation
   guide) we rebuilt the kernel and rebooted.  This time the system
   came up and said "System Supports 8 Users", and then promptly died
   while starting the daemons saying "Login Limit Reached".  When it
   finally came up all the way (without the daemons) we had a system
   with a login limit of 0.  Root could log in on the console only,
   but that was all.  We then tried reinstalling the 8 user license
   upgrade (and it said it installed successfully), but ended up with
   exactly the same situation.

One of the things that is really stupid in Ultrix is that the N user
license stuff is tied to the quota system.  Therefore, you must have
the line

options         QUOTA

in your kernel configuration file.  If you don't then you'll always
get the "Login limit reached" message if anybody other than root tries
to login.  Look at the source to login and find where the string
"Login limit reached" message is being printed and you'll see what's
wrong.
--

--------------------------------------
	rusty c. wright

chris@winsrf.dec.com (Chris Cordrey) (08/18/89)

In article <704@stsci.edu>, evans@stsci.EDU (Ian Evans) writes:

> We then attempt to install the Ultrix 3.1/UWS 2.1 update.  The first problem
> here is that our media and doc kit didn't include the Installation Guide and
> Release Notes mentioned in the cover letter.  What we did was to do a

I am forwarding this apology/explanation on from ULTRIX Product Management.
-chris
---------------------------------

Digital Equipment Corporation has identified a problem of missing
documentation in some ULTRIX-32 V3.1 and ULTRIX Worksystem
Software V2.1 kits.  The missing documentation consisted of the
ULTRIX-32 V3.1 / UWS V2.1 Release Notes and Installation Guide.

The kits that are affected are :

   QA-VYVAA-GZ  ULTRIX-32 (Risc) Full 3.0/3.1 kit
   QA-VYVAA-WZ  ULTRIX-32 (Risc) Update 3.1 kit
   QA-0JQAA-GZ  UWS (Risc) Full 2.0/2.1 kit

The affected ULTRIX kits were artificially delayed in manufacturing until
the documentation was added to the kits. The missing documentation has
been added to the affected products and all ULTRIX products are correctly
shipping as of 8/9/89.

For those affected kits that DIGITAL shipped to customers prior to the
discovery of the problem, DIGITAL is  compiling a list of customers, and
is in the process of shipping out the missing documentation to those
customers presently.

DIGITAL thanks you for your patience, and apologizes for any problem
caused by the missing documentation.

ULTRIX Product Management

sinclair@aerospace.aero.org (William S. Sinclair) (08/26/89)

tape is needed for diskless support services installation. Did you
try it with the regular installation on a system with a local hard
disk?