[comp.unix.ultrix] Upgrade woes.

rr@csuna.cs.uh.edu (Ravindran Ramachandran) (08/26/89)

  Sorry to bug the net, but I badly need to get the system back up before
Monday if possible.

  I have two DecStation 3100s. I finished upgrading one of them to V3.1,
but am having trouble with the other. Somehow the distribution media seems
to have been corrupted after the upgrade of the first. I have my tape drive
on a SCSI TK50, and I think the reason why it has got corrupted is because
I did not take the tape out before rebooting the first. Anyway, I am now
unable to install the UWS2.1 software in. The error I get is
"
There were fatal verification errors for subset UDWX11021
"

This caused the other Xwindow software not to be installed either.

  The solution that I am hoping to achieve is that as I have already installed
the software subsets on one of my systems, I want to be able to extract it
and then install it on the other. I can move the TK50 drive between them.
Please (please)*  tell me if this is possible, and if so, the solution.

  Over and out,
    Ravi. (A tired soul).

rr@csuna.cs.uh.edu (Ravindran Ramachandran) (08/29/89)

In article <11400@uhnix1.uh.edu> rr@cs.uh.edu (Ravindran Ramachandran) writes:

>  I have two DecStation 3100s. I finished upgrading one of them to V3.1,
>but am having trouble with the other. Somehow the distribution media seems
>to have been corrupted after the upgrade of the first. I have my tape drive
>on a SCSI TK50, and I think the reason why it has got corrupted is because
>I did not take the tape out before rebooting the first. Anyway, I am now
>unable to install the UWS2.1 software in. The error I get is
>"
>There were fatal verification errors for subset UDWX11021
>"

Hi,
  I'm following up to my own message. Will like to clarify the problem
further.
(1) I have the release notes for the upgrade, thanks to a kind person,
to whom I have been trying to send a reply thanking him, but which get
bounced back faster than my check.
(2) Yes, I did put the machines into single-user mode, et. al. I got one
computer successfully working, and was trying the same procedure on the
other.

  I finally got the other working too, but the procedure I followed is not
consistent with COMPUTERS, which supposedly have a binary behaviour. What
I found was that if I completely shut my system off, and reseted the SCSI
connections, I could extract one, or maybe more, subsets after I bring the
computer back up. Sometimes I had to shut it down and bring it back up
a few times before this happened. Anyway I got them all up before Monday
(today).

  The only thing that I can understand from this behaviour is that there
is some hardware problem in my SCSI tape connection. I am going to try to
extract the software subsets on my other machine to see if the tape is
messed up. I am still curious to know if software subsets that have been
installed using the setld command on a computer can in any way be extracted
back onto tape.

   Thanks, all.
      -- Ravi.