[comp.unix.ultrix] Meta

klr@hadron.UUCP (Kurt L. Reisler) (08/26/89)

Well, here is another bit of strangeness with our DECStation 3100
workstations.  We are running using Xterm and uws rather than DECterm
and dxwm (under UWS 2.0) so that we can provide a consistant interface
between the DS3100 and the VS2000.  On the DS3100, it you press the
META key and the left mouse button in a window, that window iconifies.
No big deal.  However, the "Compose Key" light on the keyboard comes
on.  It will stay on, until you open the iconified window, and attempt
to type in it.  At that time, it will eat from 1 to 3 characters and
then the keyboard will feep at you as the light goes out.  It is also
odd that this happens only if the "Compose Key" light is out.  Once it
is lit, all META key actions, in any other windows have no unusual
effects, until you deiconify the window that light the light.

Is this a problem with

	- the supplied xterm
	- the supplied uwm
	- keyboard setups I am not aware of
	- firmware
	- hardware

and has anyone else noticed the same thing?

I can not tell how dxterm handles this situation, as we are not using it
at the moment.

Kurt Reisler (703) 359-6100
UNISIG Chairman, DECUS US Chapter                       | Hadron, Inc.
..{uunet|sundc|rlgvax|netxcom|decuac}!hadron!klr        | 9990 Lee Highway
Sysop, Fido 109/101 The Bear's Den   (703) 671-0598     | Suite 481
Sysop, Fido 109/103 The Pot of Gold  (703) 359-6549     | Fairfax, VA 22030

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (08/26/89)

In article <865@hadron.UUCP> klr@hadron.UUCP (Kurt L. Reisler) writes:
>... We are running using Xterm and uws rather than DECterm ....
>On the DS3100, it you press the META key and the left mouse button
>in a window, that window iconifies.  No big deal.  However, the
>"Compose Key" light on the keyboard comes on.  It will stay on, until
>you open the iconified window, and attempt to type in it.  At that
>time, it will eat from 1 to 3 characters ....

The `Compose Character' key is trying simultaneously to be `meta' and
`compose', and failing miserably.

The cure is to say

	xmodmap -e 'keycode 177 = Meta_L'

(or put the keycode expression in a file, and `xmodmap <file>').

The table I use, which disables caps-lock entirely, puts ESC on the
`~ key and `~ on the <X| (delete) key, hides DEL on `Remove', and
puts `<' and `>' above `,' and `.' is:

	clear Lock
	keysym quoteleft = Escape
	keysym Delete = quoteleft asciitilde
	keycode 140 = Delete
	keycode 177 = Meta_L
	keysym comma = comma less
	keysym period = period greater

This makes the LK201 almost tolerable.  (There is still no backspace
key, but I long ago wired my fingers to type control-H; there is still
an extra <> key in the way of the left shift key; the now-inoperative
Lock key is still too fat; and there is still no reasonable delete
key.  Others have suggested moving tilde and backquote to that extra
key between z and shift, which leaves the envelope key---my name for
the large delete key at the top right of the main keyboard [hint: look
at it sideways]---free for backspace or delete [but not both].)

I would still pay good money for a keyboard that does not make my
left pinky ache.

guido@piring.cwi.nl (Guido van Rossum) (08/28/89)

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:

[some hints about making the LA201 keyboard tolerable]

>I would still pay good money for a keyboard that does not make my
>left pinky ache.

You disabled the Lock key, but went only halfway.  It can become a
Control key, by adding this to your xmodmap input:

clear Lock
add Control = Caps_Lock

	--Guido

--
Guido van Rossum, Centre for Mathematics and Computer Science (CWI), Amsterdam
guido@cwi.nl or mcvax!guido or guido%cwi.nl@uunet.uu.net

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (08/29/89)

In article <8360@boring.cwi.nl> guido@piring.cwi.nl (Guido van Rossum) writes:
>You disabled the Lock key, but went only halfway.  It can become a
>Control key ....

The control key is not the major cause of `sore finger syndrome'.  It
is that !#*()% `<>' key between Z and SHIFT.

Now, if I could make <> act like SHIFT. . . .  The MIT xmodmap manual
seems to imply that

	xmodmap -e 'keycode 201 = Shift_L'
	xmodmap -e 'add Shift = Shift_L'

should work, but it fails silently (the <> key does nothing at all).
Changing both Shift_Ls to Shift_Rs causes the following error:

	[gyre122] xmodmap -e 'keycode 201 = Shift_R'
	[gyre123] xmodmap -e 'add shift = Shift_R'
	xmodmap: bad set modifier mapping.

heins@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Leeland Heins) (08/30/89)

In article <19308@mimsy.UUCP> chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:

(a lot of totally justified grousing about the ugly LK201 keyboard)

Chris,

   Well, you could take the approach I have on several occasions...
rip the keyboard apart and do some manual remapping.  I've done this
to several imitations of the awful IBM-PC, IBM-AT or the really
unbearable IBM "Enhanced" keyboard...  Unfortunately, University
administrators really frown on hacking up their equipment.  :-(
   Unfortunately, I think the LK201 is beyond hope for this kind of
mods since the return key is the wrong shape...
   Is there anyone that makes a fixed keyboard that is compatible with
the LK201?  I'd really like to replace all of them that we have around
here with something that is bearable.

What I really want is this:

 ___  ___  ___  ___  ___  ___  ___  ___  ___  ___  ___  ___  ___  ________
|   || ! || @ || # || $ || % || ^ || & || * || ( || ) || _ || + ||        |
|esc|| 1 || 2 || 3 || 4 || 5 || 6 || 7 || 8 || 9 || 0 || - || = || delete |
`---'`---'`---'`---'`---'`---'`---'`---'`---'`---'`---'`---'`---'`--------'
 _______  ___  ___  ___  ___  ___  ___  ___  ___  ___  ___  ___  ___  ___
|       ||   ||   ||   ||   ||   ||   ||   ||   ||   ||   || { || } || | |
|  tab  || q || w || e || r || t || y || u || i || o || p || [ || ] || \ |
`-------'`---'`---'`---'`---'`---'`---'`---'`---'`---'`---'`---'`---'`---'
 ________  ___  ___  ___  ___  ___  ___  ___  ___  ___  ___  ___  ________
|        ||   ||   ||   ||   ||   ||   ||   ||   ||   || : || " ||        |
|  ctrl  || a || s || d || f || g || h || j || k || l || ; || ' || return |
`--------'`---'`---'`---'`---'`---'`---'`---'`---'`---'`---'`---'`--------'
 __________  ___  ___  ___  ___  ___  ___  ___  ___  ___  ___  __________
|          ||   ||   ||   ||   ||   ||   ||   || < || > || ? ||          |
|   shift  || z || x || c || v || b || n || m || , || . || / ||  shift   |
`----------'`---'`---'`---'`---'`---'`---'`---'`---'`---'`---'`----------'
 ____  ___  ___  ________________________________  ___  ___  ___  ___  ___
|caps|| ~ ||   ||                                ||opt|| / ||\ /|| ^ || \ |
|lock|| ` ||cmd||              space             ||ion|| \ || v ||/ \|| / |
`----'`---'`---'`--------------------------------'`---'`---'`---'`---'`---'

Command and Option keys could be relabeled whatever meta-type keys were
appropriate.

Of course you'd need to add "Hold screen", "Print screeen", "Setup" and
"Break" keys.
Putting a Backspace key just to the right of the Delete key would be O.K.
too...  and caps lock could go to the left of Ctrl also...

If f-keys are absolutely necessary (I don't like 'em, I don't use 'em), they
should be lined up directly above the numbers.  A numeric keypad could be
put directly to the right of the main keyboard.

>In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 454 7163)
>Domain:	chris@mimsy.umd.edu	Path:	uunet!mimsy!chris

  //|||\\   "Attack of the killer 	Lee Heins, EXNET Programmer
 //-O-O-\\   mutant techno-hippies	Iowa State U. Extension
 ||  v  ||   from Hell"			heins@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu
 || === ||				...!hplabs!hp-lsd!atanasoff!heins
 || --- ||
/// `|' \\\				Disclaimer: I speak for myself only.