[comp.unix.ultrix] Problems with System Clock on DECstation 3100 ?

evans@stsci.EDU (Ian Evans) (08/27/89)

Has anyone else had problems with the System Clock on a DECstation 3100
losing time?  Ours has lost about 20 minutes over about the last two weeks.
This seems to have happened pretty smoothly over that period, during which
time the system has been very lightly loaded.  None of our other machines
(VAXen, SUNs, Silicon Graphics, ...) seem to be similarly afflicted.  Has
anyone else noticed any similar problems?

Ian Evans                                          phone:  (301) 338-4756
Space Telescope Science Institute               internet: evans@stsci.edu
3700 San Martin Drive                             bitnet:     evans@stsci
Baltimore,  MD 21218                                span:   scivax::evans

jonasn@ttds.UUCP (Jonas Nygren) (08/27/89)

In article <720@stsci.edu> evans@stsci.EDU (Ian Evans) writes:
>Has anyone else had problems with the System Clock on a DECstation 3100
>losing time?  Ours has lost about 20 minutes over about the last two weeks.
>This seems to have happened pretty smoothly over that period, during which
>time the system has been very lightly loaded.  None of our other machines
>(VAXen, SUNs, Silicon Graphics, ...) seem to be similarly afflicted.  Has
>anyone else noticed any similar problems?
>
>Ian Evans                                          phone:  (301) 338-4756
>Space Telescope Science Institute               internet: evans@stsci.edu
>3700 San Martin Drive                             bitnet:     evans@stsci
>Baltimore,  MD 21218                                span:   scivax::evans

YES!!!

My DECstation 3100 also loses time about the same amount that is given
above.

/jonas

rick@ssbell.UUCP (Richard Ohnemus) (08/29/89)

In article <720@stsci.edu> evans@stsci.EDU (Ian Evans) writes:
>Has anyone else had problems with the System Clock on a DECstation 3100
>losing time?  Ours has lost about 20 minutes over about the last two weeks.
>This seems to have happened pretty smoothly over that period, during which
>time the system has been very lightly loaded.  None of our other machines
>(VAXen, SUNs, Silicon Graphics, ...) seem to be similarly afflicted.  Has
>anyone else noticed any similar problems?
>
>Ian Evans                                          phone:  (301) 338-4756
>Space Telescope Science Institute               internet: evans@stsci.edu
>3700 San Martin Drive                             bitnet:     evans@stsci
>Baltimore,  MD 21218                                span:   scivax::evans

20 minutes in 2 weeks?!? Our DS3100 loses 20 minutes in 4-5 days!!

--
I never receive credit for anything I write! (I'm an Ohnemus. 8-)

Rick Ohnemus                 UUCP:     rick@ssbell
Sterling Software FSG/IMD    INTERNET: rick@ssbell.uu.net
1404 Ft. Crook Rd. South     Phone:    (402) 291-8300
Bellevue, NE. 68005-2969     FAX:      (402) 291-4362

steve@fnord.umiacs.umd.edu (Steve D. Miller) (08/30/89)

We had much the same problem.  I don't know why the clock seems to lose
so badly... but we finally installed NTP, and now they all chime closely
together.

	-Steve

Spoken: Steve Miller    Domain: steve@mimsy.umd.edu    UUCP: uunet!mimsy!steve
Phone: +1-301-454-1808  USPS: UMIACS, Univ. of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742

bmc@bru.MAYO.EDU (Bruce Cameron) (08/31/89)

The DECstation I work with also has a clock that slows down about 2 minutes
per day. I don't have a solution other then periodically resetting the
clock and restarting everything. A fix would be great. is there one out there?

Bruce M. Cameron                    bmc@bru.mayo.edu
Medical Sciences 1-14               (507) 284-3288
Mayo Foundation                     WD9CKW
Rochester, MN 55905

We seek a world free of war and the threat of war. We seek a society
with equity and justice for all. We seek a community where every
person's potential may be fulfilled. We seek an earth restored.
                                                          -----FCNL