[comp.unix.ultrix] Kermit file transfers

larsens@urubu.CS.ORST.EDU (Scott Larsen) (08/30/89)

Does anyone have the source to a kermit program that will run on a DECstation
3100?  Does such a beast exist?  If it doesn't does DEC make one and how much
does it cost?

Scott

| Scott Larsen			| The statements expressed here are the        |
| larsens@urubu.cs.orst.edu	| opinions of myself and not the computer's.   |
| Oregon State Univeristy	| "Bring us . . . a shrubbery!" - M.P.F.C.     |

dewey@sequoia.UUCP (Dewey Henize) (08/30/89)

In article <12290@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> larsens@urubu.CS.ORST.EDU (Scott Larsen) writes:
>Does anyone have the source to a kermit program that will run on a DECstation
>3100?  Does such a beast exist?  If it doesn't does DEC make one and how much
>does it cost?
>
>| Scott Larsen			| The statements expressed here are the        |

We run normal C kermit here and haven't had any problems, other than figuring
out what the serial port name was.  I know we didn't do anything
'neat' to get it to go.  ???

Dewey

--
| ...!cs.utexas.edu!execu!dewey or | "If you will just quit shouting at me, I |
|     ...uunet!execu!dewey         | will try to hear what you are saying"    |

rr@csuna.cs.uh.edu (Ravindran Ramachandran) (09/02/89)

In article <652@sequoia.UUCP> dewey@sequoia.UUCP (Dewey Henize) writes:
>In article <12290@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> larsens@urubu.CS.ORST.EDU (Scott Larsen) writes:
>>Does anyone have the source to a kermit program that will run on a DECstation
>>3100?  Does such a beast exist?  If it doesn't does DEC make one and how much
>>does it cost?
>
>We run normal C kermit here and haven't had any problems, other than figuring
>out what the serial port name was.  I know we didn't do anything
>'neat' to get it to go.  ???

Has anyone got c-kermit running on a DecStation 3100, and been able to send
very large files from a PC connected to a DecServer port? Or even a Mac on
the DecServer line. I've been struggling with it for a while now. I'm able
to send to my VMS machine without any trouble, but the RISC/ULTRIX combination
keeps getting timed out. I used the kermit from Columbia, and did a
'make bsd' to get my executables.

I am able to send files from my DecStations to the PC, but not the reverse.
Could this be because the RISC machines are much faster? Is there any way
to control this? The message that I get when it times out is,
Unable to receive an acknowledgment from the host

 -- Ravi.

parker@eric.mpr.ca (Ross Parker) (09/05/89)

In article <11940@uhnix1.uh.edu> rr@csuna.UUCP (PUT YOUR NAME HERE) writes:
>Has anyone got c-kermit running on a DecStation 3100, and been able to send
>very large files from a PC connected to a DecServer port? Or even a Mac on
>the DecServer line. I've been struggling with it for a while now. I'm able
>to send to my VMS machine without any trouble, but the RISC/ULTRIX combination
>keeps getting timed out. I used the kermit from Columbia, and did a
>'make bsd' to get my executables.
>
> -- Ravi.

There is a problem with Ultrix versions 3.0 and 3.1 that causes large
data transfers through DECservers to fail. This was discussed in this
newsgroup a month or so ago... unfortunately I don't have a copy of the
articles. To my knowledge, DEC has still not come out with a fix for the
problem. Has anyone heard differently? What is the current status of
the bug?

--
Ross Parker      uunet!ubc-cs!mpre!parker       |
Microtel Pacific Research Ltd.			| You can't erase the dream,