[comp.unix.ultrix] mailer startup problem

eric@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Eric Fielding) (09/06/89)

We finally got our own system disk for our DECstation 3100, and got the system
set up fine except for the mailer. It refuses to start up correctly. When I
try to start it manually using this line from /etc/rc.local:
    /usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q1h -om& echo -n ' sendmail'     >/dev/console
I get this message:
   Sep  5 18:53:42 LOCALHOST: 2678 sendmail: cannot get connection^J

I also tried connecting to the "smtp" IP port by "telnet jasper 25" and got
"connection refused".

Is there something that must be configured to allow "smtp" connections? All the
other IP stuff seems to be working fine. I assume that this is what is causing
"sendmail" to refuse to run.
					++Eric
eric@geology.tn.cornell.edu (or @jasper.tn.cornell.edu if it starts working)
eric@crnlthry.bitnet

avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) (09/07/89)

Is your network set up correctly? In particular is localhost and
hostname correctly set up in your /etc/hosts file?

Fred

frank@croton.dec.com (Frank Wortner) (09/07/89)

> We finally got our own system disk for our DECstation 3100, and got the system
> set up fine except for the mailer. It refuses to start up correctly.

	Check to see if /etc/sendmail.fc (that's fc, not cf) has a non-zero
length.  If not, become super user and type

	/usr/lib/sendmail -bz

Regards,
						Frank

eric@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Eric Fielding) (09/07/89)

More on the problem I am having with getting "sendmail" to start up. I just
found the "syslog" file, and it has these error messages:

Sep  6 17:49:48 LOCALHOST: 3142 sendmail: NOQUEUE: SYSERR: getrequests: cannot b
ind: Permission denied
Sep  6 17:49:48 LOCALHOST: 3142 sendmail: cannot get connection

I tried starting sendmail after 'su'ing.  Is there a manual that explains more
about sendmail? Perhaps some file got set to the wrong owner? I changed the
ownership of "/etc/*" to "root".

Thanks for the quick responses.
				++Eric Fielding

In a recent article eric@geology.tn.cornell.edu (I) wrote:
>More on the problem I am having with getting "sendmail" to start up. I just
>found the "syslog" file, and it has these error messages:
>Sep  6 17:49:48 LOCALHOST: 3142 sendmail: NOQUEUE: SYSERR: getrequests: cannot b
>ind: Permission denied
>Perhaps some file got set to the wrong owner? I changed the
>ownership of "/etc/*" to "root".

Answering my own question: It turns out that "sendmail" does not look at the
files in /etc, but instead looks at the file entries in /usr/lib that are links
to the files in /etc. All of the files in /usr/lib were owned by a regular
account, instead of "root". Changing them to "root" made sendmail start up fine.

I must say that this Ultrix system seems a lot more difficult to set up than
the VMS systems I am used to. And the Ultrix documentation is very good compared
to most U*ix manuals from what I hear... At least I did figure it out after a
while.

				++Eric Fielding