[comp.unix.ultrix] I need urgent help for mail11d

mf@arco (Mario Furnari) (09/08/89)

For about four months I breaked my head with the following problem:

	I have an Ultrix system (MicroVAX II) with DECnet-Ultrix
	connected to VMS system, on whose run the CSNET PMDF.
	To correctly manage the RFC 822 domain addressing I need to
	send to VMS system adresses like that

		in%"user@domain"

	This addresses scheme run o.k. on VMS machines, but when I try
	that from the Ultrix-DECnet I, and also the italian and european
	DEC support stuff, have verified that the DECnet mailer daemon
	unexpectedly convert the address.

	After many failed trials the european DEC support has obliged me
	to upgrade at the Ultrix version 3.1.

	Also this last trial has been without success.

	Here is the script of "mail -v" to verify the uncorrect mail11dv3
	address management.

	It is possibeleto see the bad traslation of the "in%" into "in@".
	That is not correct!!!!!!!

	I suspect that the DEC people has hard coded in the mail11dv3 some
	address management. It is that correct ? And if affirmative why
	this choice, considered that it is the sendmail job to manage
	the address conversion ?

Any suggestion is well accepted.

Script started on Mon Sep  4 15:15:51 1989
arco% mail -v
Mail version 2.18 5/19/83.  Type ? for help.
"/usr/spool/mail/mf": 11 messages 2 new 9 unread
& m cnuce::in%"furnari@icnucevx.cnuce.cnr.it"
Subject: Prova Mail11dv3
~f10
Interpolating: 10
(continue)
.
cnuce::in%"furnari@icnucevx.cnuce.cnr.it"... Connecting to cnuce.Dmail...
220 Mail-11_V3.0 DECnet-ULTRIX Mail-11 Mailer
>>> HELO arco.na.cnr.it
250 Mail-11_V3.0 DECnet-ULTRIX Mail-11 Mailer
>>> MULT
250 Ok, will give multiple status for DATA.
>>> HEAD
354 Ok, give me a sneak peak at the message
>>> .
210-Passthru capsar message MAIL_MESSAGE
250 Thanks, come again!
>>> MAIL From:<arco::mf>
250 Connected to node cnuce
>>> RCPT To:<in@"furnari@icnucevx.cnuce.cnr.it">
553-IN@"FURNARI@ICNUCEVX.CNUCE.CNR.IT"; %MAIL-E-USERSPEC, invalid user specification '@"FURNARI@ICNUCEVX.CNUCE.CNR.IT"'
553
cnuce::in%"furnari@icnucevx.cnuce.cnr.it"... User unknown
>>> QUIT
250 DECnet-ULTRIX Mail11 exiting.  Come Again.
Saving message in /usr/users/mf/dead.letter
/usr/users/mf/dead.letter... Sent
& q
Saved 1 message in mbox
Held 10 messages in /usr/spool/mail/mf
arco%
script done on Mon Sep  4 15:17:14 1989

Furthermore, there are some errors inthe DECnet Doc which remain on
version change although these erorrs has been signalled to the italian
and European DEC support. One of that is:

	Guide to the DECnet-Internet Gateway Order Number AA-JQ71B-TE
	pag. 5-2

	To turn on Gateway file transfer services, delete the pound sign
	(#) in front the line containing /etc/ftpd, and add a # in front
	of the line containing /etc/ftpd.gw. ...

	To turn on Gateway remote login services, delete the pound sign
	(#) in front the line containing /etc/telnetd, and add a # in front
	of the line containing /etc/telnetd.gw. ...

This clearly false.

					Mario Furnari
					mf@arco.na.cnr.it
					Istituto di Cibernetica
					Via Toiano, 6
					80072 - Arco Felice (Na)
					Italy
					Phone : (+3981) 5261255
					Pax   : (+3981) 8673654

Newsgroups: comp.unix.ultrix
Subject: I need urgent help for mail11d(v3)

Newsgroups: comp.unix.ultrix

> [...]

/usr/users/mf/dead.letter... Sent
& q
Saved 1 message in mbox
Held 10 messages in /usr/spool/mail/mf
arco%
script done on Mon Sep  4 15:17:14 1989

Furthermore, there are some errors inthe DECnet Doc which remain on
version change although these erorrs has been signalled to the italian
and European DEC support. One of that is:

	Guide to the DECnet-Internet Gateway Order Number AA-JQ71B-TE
	pag. 5-2

	To turn on Gateway file transfer services, delete the pound sign
	(#) in front the line containing /etc/ftpd, and add a # in front
	of the line containing /etc/ftpd.gw. ...

	To turn on Gateway remote login services, delete the pound sign
	(#) in front the line containing /etc/telnetd, and add a # in front
	of the line containing /etc/telnetd.gw. ...

Newsgroups: comp.unix.ultrix
avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) (09/09/89)

This is -- I am pretty sure -- being done by the sendmail.cf file.  Look
for rules in /etc/sendmail.cf such as

R$-%$+		$:$1<@$2>

or something.  Sendmail is seeing

	singletoken%singleothertoken

because anything in quotes is taken as one thing.  Ususally sendmail says
to replace a right-most % with a @.  This is what is happening.

Fred

sdowdy@ariel.unm.edu (Stephen Dowdy) (09/10/89)

In article <2730@decuac.DEC.COM> avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) writes:
>This is -- I am pretty sure -- being done by the sendmail.cf file.  Look
>for rules in /etc/sendmail.cf such as
>
>R$-%$+		$:$1<@$2>
>
>or something.  Sendmail is seeing
>
>	singletoken%singleothertoken
>
>because anything in quotes is taken as one thing.  Ususally sendmail says
>to replace a right-most % with a @.  This is what is happening.
>
>Fred

I just wanted to make a statement about mail11.  I'm usually not one to rag
on DEC for software support,etc... But if you're going to make claims about
unix/vms connectivity PLEASE OH PLEASE at least tell me how to use mail11.

There is no mention ANYWHERE on what arguments it takes, or even that it
exists, other than the MAILER line in the standard sendmail cfg file.

I am not sure about mail11v3, but the older version DID munge "%"
I had to strings it and "patch" it to stop doing this. (to pass "jnet%"
addresses unaltered (it screwed with other things as well))

I think the philosophy behind it was to support both DECnet and Internet
style addresses (trying to be too smart for its own britches), but in doing
so, dropped out full functionality.
I believe mail11 is now mail11v3 and mail11v3d (broken up) so perhaps this
is not a problem anymore?

Anyway, i'm pulling this off the top of my head right now, since it has
been a while since i looked at it, and was starting to help the "unixoids"
with some MAIL11 problems on V3, but gave up after not finding any
documentation.

I would really appreciate it if DEC could just include a quick blurb
SOMEWHERE (decnet {un}supported manual, release notes, man page)
on the use of mail11.

Thank you very much.

--stephen

moore@cs.utk.edu (Keith Moore) (09/11/89)

In article <541@arco.uucp> mf@arco.na.cnr.it writes:

>For about four months I breaked my head with the following problem:
>
>	I have an Ultrix system (MicroVAX II) with DECnet-Ultrix
>	connected to VMS system, on whose run the CSNET PMDF.
>	To correctly manage the RFC 822 domain addressing I need to
>	send to VMS system adresses like that
>
>		in%"user@domain"
>
>	This addresses scheme run o.k. on VMS machines, but when I try
>	that from the Ultrix-DECnet I, and also the italian and european
>	DEC support stuff, have verified that the DECnet mailer daemon
>	unexpectedly convert the address.
[...]
Actually, the address conversion is being done by sendmail.  Sendmail sees
an address of the form <token> % <token>, and converts the % to an @.
This is done to support the '%' routing convention.

>	I suspect that the DEC people has hard coded in the mail11dv3 some
>	address management. It is that correct ? And if affirmative why
>	this choice, considered that it is the sendmail job to manage
>	the address conversion ?

Sendmail and its configuration files are designed to understand RFC822-
style addresses.  Even though it tries to be forgiving when given something
that's not quite syntactically correct, an address like in%"user@domain"
is just too far from normal to be parsed by the same routines that have
to handle RFC822 addresses.

>Any suggestion is well accepted.

Well, I wrote my own version of the mail11 daemon.  My version translates
addresses of the form
protocol%"quoted-string"
"protocol%\"quoted-string\""@sending-host
Even if this is ugly, it is correct, and can be handled by sendmail.
(Almost -- sendmail insists on stripping the quotes from envelope
addresses when forwarding the message to other systems.)  Anyway,
using my gateway, I have managed to reply to addresses of this type.

And since I my gateway comes with source, it's easy to wire in support
for things like IN%"user@domain", and change it to simply user@domain.
(Though you need to make sure that your PMDF setup understands exactly
the same set of domains that your sendmail does.)

Anyway, you can get the source via anonymous ftp to cs.utk.edu
(128.169.201.1), directory readonly/mail11, files mail11.tar
and mail11d.tar.  mail11.tar is a rewrite of the sendmail->mail11
gateway that handles error conditions better than mail11v3.
mail11d.tar is the rewritten mail11 daemon.

If you don't have ftp access and want the programs anyway, send mail and
I'll send you .shar files.

Keith Moore			Internet: moore@utkcs2.cs.utk.edu
University of Tenn. CS Dept.	BITNET: moore@utkvx
107 Ayres Hall, UT Campus	UT Decnet: utkcs2::moore
Knoxville Tennessee 37996-1301	Telephone: +1 615 974 0822