[comp.unix.ultrix] timed on Ultrix 3.1?

pete@northstar38.dartmouth.edu (Pete Schmitt) (09/12/89)

I would like to hear from anyone regarding their success in getting
a timed to work on ultrix. Specifically a PMAX.

-pete

chris@wugate.wustl.edu (Chris Myers) (09/12/89)

In article <15523@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> pete@northstar38.dartmouth.edu (Pete Schmitt) writes:
>I would like to hear from anyone regarding their success in getting
>a timed to work on ultrix. Specifically a PMAX.

I have compiled the timed from the (publically available portion of the) Tahoe
release of 4.3 BSD on my PMAXen and have not had any problems with it (in fact,
when the PMAXen are slaved to my 4.3BSD VAX the slipping clock problem with the
PMAX becomes a much less annoying problem).  It runs under Ultrix 3.0 and 3.1.

If you don't have access to the source for timed you can get both the executable
and the binaries from wuarchive.wustl.edu in

	wuarchive.wustl.edu:~ftp/fixes/ultrix.risc/*
	wuarchive.wustl.edu:~ftp/unix/4.3BSD-tahoe/etc/timed/*

Hope this helps,

Chris Myers					chris@wugate.wustl.edu
Software Engineer				       +1 314 362-6186
Office of the Network Coordinator
Washington University in St. Louis

rusty@GARNET.BERKELEY.EDU (09/14/89)

Somebody just recently asked the same question for a Sun on
comp.bugs.4bsd; here is my response:

From: rusty
To: benson@odi.com ()
CC: comp-bugs-4bsd
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 89 11:21:54 EST
Subject: The timed and I aren't getting along very well

Toss timed and use ntp.  I tried the various known-to-work-on-suns
patches for the 4.3 timed and was never able to get it to work well.
ntp is much better anyways.

You can get the ntp sources from trantor.umd.edu in the directory
/pub/ntp.3.4.  The file ntp-test.tar.Z is what everyone seems to be
using.  In the directory /archive is a collection of the mail that's
been going around on the ntp mailing list.

There is a bunch of documentation on ntp on louie.udel.edu in
/pub/ntp.  And I noticed that the ntp-test.tar.Z file is in there as
well but I've heard that it's corrupted.