[comp.unix.ultrix] Problems running motif from Ultrix onto a VMS workstation.

bferguso@ics.uci.edu (B. Ferguson) (09/14/89)

I'm trying to run motif on a VMS workstation. That is I want to run
mwm off a Ultrix machine, so that it controls the windows on a VMS system.

Both the VMS system and the ULTRIX system have decnet.

To run the system we have tried:

1) change protection on the VMS system to *::* under the session manager.
2) set host to the ULTRIX machine.
3) setenv DISPLAY to <nodename>::0.0
4) /usr/bin/X11/mwm

This results in the "X Toolkit Error: Can't Open display"
message.

Can anyone help solve this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

fkittred@bbn.com (Fletcher Kittredge) (09/14/89)

You must tell the server that the host that the client is running
on is allowed to access the display.  On Unix (Ultrix) systems
the name of the command to do this is "xhost +<nodename>".  On VMS,
who knows?

regards,
fletcher
Fletcher E. Kittredge  fkittred@bbn.com

frank@croton.dec.com (Frank Wortner) (09/15/89)

In article <1989Sep13.214009.10069@paris.ics.uci.edu>, bferguso@ics.uci.edu (B. Ferguson) writes:

> To run the system we have tried:
>
> 1) change protection on the VMS system to *::* under the session manager.

You might want to try setting the protrection on the VMS system to

		machine_name::ultrix-uid-number

For example, my machine is "croton", and my uid is "frank" (which is 268 on
croton).  I would use

		croton::268

This has worked for me in the past.

Regards,