[comp.unix.ultrix] Problem with "finger" command

leonh@hhb.UUCP (leon howorth) (09/15/89)

Recently we have been getting the following output from use of the
"finger" command:

<HHB>finger username

Trace/BPT trap (core dumped)

This is a relatively recent, but now consistent, occurrance. Can someone
out there give me some troubleshooting ideas??
The system in question is a VAX 11/785 running ULTRIX 2.2.  Thanks.

--
Leon A. Howorth			|  UUCP:  ....princeton!hhb!leonh
Computer Operations Manager	|  ARPA:  leonh%hhb@princeton.edu

cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) (09/16/89)

In article <278@hhb.UUCP>, leonh@hhb.UUCP (leon howorth) writes:
> <HHB>finger username
>
> Trace/BPT trap (core dumped)
>
> This is a relatively recent, but now consistent, occurrance. Can someone
> out there give me some troubleshooting ideas??

1. verify that the finger program itself has not taken a "hit".  (reload
a saved copy, or compare it to a copy on a machine that works)

2. Does this happen for all users, or just some of them.
   If not all, what are the differences?  Does it only fail for users
   with 64 byte login names :-)

   Does it only fail for users that have .plan files.
   Does it only fail for users that don't have .plan files..

   Is it only a select group of users?  Do they have wierd stuff in
   thier .plan files?

3. How about the /etc/passwd file.  Are there any wierd lines in there?