[comp.unix.ultrix] uucp nickname

In article <31314@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> senderow@janus.Berkeley.EDU (Dan Senderowicz) writes:
> The host to which I dial up for uucp transfers has a different
> name for my machine than the actual one. I tried changing things
> in the sendmail.cf file, but still the host responds (once I'm
> logged on) "you are unknown to me". Is there any thing else that
> I have to change? Thanks.

With release 3.x of Ultrix, uucp uses the first element of your hostname
to identify itself to the remote system.  Usually only the first 7 or
so characters are significant.

So, if you system is named "prettything.nowhere.com", the system you are
trying to call should have entries in it's uucp files for "prettyt" -
though depending of the version of uucp "prettything" or the full name
may work...  For either "bat" or "bat.wing.tv.com", it would simply be
"bat".

The sendmail.cf file has nothing to do with this and as far as I know,
there is no way to override ultrix's use of hostname for this purpose,
so you must get the people on the system that you are calling to update
their uucp control file appropriately.

Newer versions of uucp contain explicit support for aliases, but Ultrix
uucp doesn't (or at least it's neither evident nor documented).