[comp.unix.ultrix] creating extra swap partitions

eric@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Eric Fielding) (09/17/89)

what does one have to do to create a second swap partition on a second disk
drive (in addition to the default b on the system disk)?  I tried changing the
partition size with 'chpt' of my /dev/rrz3b partition and entering it into my
/etc/fstab as a swap partition, but "swapon -a" complains that it must be a
block device. This happens with or without running 'mkfs' on that partition.
Is there some other program to run to create a "block device" for swapping?
Do you have to specify the swap partitions in the kernal configuration?
(Oh, in case it makes any difference this is Ultrix 3.0 on a PMAX.)

				++Eric Fielding
eric@jasper.tn.cornell.edu

In article <8871@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> eric@jasper.tn.cornell.edu writes:
> what does one have to do to create a second swap partition on a second disk
> drive (in addition to the default b on the system disk)?  I tried changing the
> partition size with 'chpt' of my /dev/rrz3b partition and entering it into my
> /etc/fstab as a swap partition, but "swapon -a" complains that it must be a
> block device. This happens with or without running 'mkfs' on that partition.
> Is there some other program to run to create a "block device" for swapping?
> Do you have to specify the swap partitions in the kernal configuration?

The entry in /etc/fstab should specifiy the "cooked" or "block" device
rather than the "raw" device (regardless of what it actually uses).

Most likely you've put the wrong name /dev/rhp1b vs /dev/hp1b in your
entry.  Second chance would be that you don't have the correct names in
/dev for all the partitions of the disk device.

mkfs isn't used for swap partitions, since the system (normally) swaps on the
entire partition, rather than within the bounds of a filesystem layered onto
the device...

frank@croton.dec.com (Frank Wortner) (09/18/89)

In article <8871@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, eric@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Eric Fielding) writes:

> what does one have to do to create a second swap partition on a second disk
> drive (in addition to the default b on the system disk)?  I tried changing the
> partition size with 'chpt' of my /dev/rrz3b partition and entering it into my
> /etc/fstab as a swap partition, but "swapon -a" complains that it must be a
> block device. This happens with or without running 'mkfs' on that partition.
> Is there some other program to run to create a "block device" for swapping?
> Do you have to specify the swap partitions in the kernal configuration?
> (Oh, in case it makes any difference this is Ultrix 3.0 on a PMAX.)
>
> 				++Eric Fielding
> eric@jasper.tn.cornell.edu

The "block device" is the non-raw partition.  The entry in /etc/fstab should
list /dev/rz3b, not /dev/rrz3b.

You do have to reconfigure the kernel to add a second swap partition.  The
configuration file in /sys/conf/mips should have a line like this:

config vmunix root on rz0a swap on rz0b and rz3b dumps on rz0b

If you want, you can run /etc/doconfig, reply to its questions, and it will
generate a config file for you.

Before you boot the new kernel, make sure that you have special files in
/dev for rz3.

Enjoy!
					Frank