[comp.unix.ultrix] Make and SCCS on PMAX - problems?

ath@luna.prosys.se (Anders Thulin) (09/20/89)

I am trying to port Makefiles from SunOS to Ultrix (on a PMAX), with
varying success.  The main problem is handling of SCCS files.

Example: if ./SCCS contains the file s.test.c I would expect that the
commands 'make test' or 'make test.c' should work due to the default
rules for .c~ and .c~.c. However, make complains that it doesn't know
how to make test or test.c. Explicit dependency rules in Makefiles
also fail.

I have probably missed something basic, but I can't figure out what it
is. Does anyone have any suggestions?

If this is a subject that has already been trashed to death, please
mail any reply to ath@prosys.se - disregard the Reply-To: address.
Thanks!

--
Anders Thulin, Programsystem AB, Teknikringen 2A, S-583 30 Linkoping, Sweden
ath@prosys.se   {uunet,mcvax}!sunic!prosys!ath

evans@testmax.ZK3.DEC.COM (Marc Evans Ultrix Q/A) (09/21/89)

needs to by default reside in the same directory as the target. Therefore,
the SCCS directory mechanism doesn't seem to be followed. If you look at
the rules used by default by the makefile (use -p), you will discover
that both make and s5make seem to set $(GET) to be 'get', rather then
'sccs get' which may start to explain the implementation.

I will look through the documentation a bit closer to determine weather
make is acting as it is documented, or weather there is a bug hanging out
someplace inside.

- Marc
Marc Evans - WB1GRH - evans@decvax.DEC.COM  | Synergytics    (603)893-8481
     Unix/X-window Software Contractor      | 3 Koper Ln, Pelham, NH 03076

ath@luna.prosys.se (Anders Thulin) (09/22/89)

In article <475@luna.prosys.se> I wrote:

> [ ... help - SCCS & Make does not seem to work well together ... ]

My thanks to those who replied. For those who wonder what the problem
was:

It seems I made the mistake of assuming that make (and s5make) knows
about ./SCCS directores, and that the default rules on .c~.c would
check the SCCS directory automatically.

Not so.  The SCCS rules work *only* if the relevant SCCS file is
present in the current directory. As I have been using the sccs
front-end, which uses the ./SCCS directory (unless you set
PROJECTDIR), make couldn't find s. files.

Adding the rule:

	$(CFILES):
		sccs get $@

to the makefile seems to do the trick. This, however, bypasses the
SCCS rules entirely.