[comp.unix.ultrix] Installation problems on 5400

mjb@acd4.UUCP ( Mike Bryan ) (09/25/89)

Has anyone had experience loading a 5400 with Ultrix 3.1?  We are
having severe problems here this weekend.  Our tape is labeled
"Ultrix-32 3.1A (RISC)", part number "AQ-NL66A-BE".  Every time it
gets to the point of installing the software subsets, we get errors.

The errors never seem to be exactly the same, so we think it might be
hardware problems.  However, it passes diagnostics with flying colors.
We are also on our second tape from DEC (the first one was truly bad).
We'll have DEC looking at the system tomorrow sometime, but I wanted
to see if anyone has had similar problems, or has successfully loaded
3.1 on a 5400.  If you have loaded it, was it the same tape as I've
listed above?

Thanks for your help.

--
Mike Bryan, Applied Computing Devices, 100 N Campus Dr, Terre Haute IN 47802
Phone: 812/232-6051  FAX: 812/231-5280  Home: 812/232-0815

mjb@acd4.UUCP ( Mike Bryan ) (09/27/89)

In article <1989Sep25.015309.27973@acd4.UUCP> mjb@acd4.UUCP ( Mike Bryan          ) writes:

>Has anyone had experience loading a 5400 with Ultrix 3.1?  We are
>having severe problems here this weekend.  Our tape is labeled
>"Ultrix-32 3.1A (RISC)", part number "AQ-NL66A-BE".  Every time it
>gets to the point of installing the software subsets, we get errors.

Well, as an update to the problem, it seems that we have another
corrupt tape from DEC.  The file which should be the BASE subset is in
fact a dump/restore image from god-only-knows-what.  The file which
should be the INET subset is a compressed tar image of *part* of BASE,
but it is corrupted (tar -tv gives 'directory checksum error' after a
few files).  DEC claims other sites do not have this problem, and are
going to get us another tape.  Maybe this one (try #3) will work.

It's just not our month for software distributions.  We've had 3 bad
ORACLE tapes, and 2 bad Ultrix tapes.  Maybe we should just go back to
keying software directly into memory by hand.  :-)