[comp.unix.ultrix] Changing DS3100 screen backgrounds

jmarek@td2cad.intel.com (John Marek) (09/22/89)

For the DS3100, what are the appropriate files to change to replace the large
"digital" logo on the login screen with something much nicer to stare at (like
maybe an image of myself :-) )?

Also for pausing from the session manager (dxsession), can the password
verification screen be modified?

Thanks for any help.

John.
--
     John Marek                                     jmarek@td2cad.intel.com

     Any opinions in the above text are my own but feel welcome to use them.

hastings@walnut (Mark Hastings) (09/23/89)

In article <2419@td2cad.intel.com> jmarek@td2cad.intel.com (John Marek) writes:

>For the DS3100, what are the appropriate files to change to replace the large
>"digital" logo on the login screen with something much nicer to stare at (like
>maybe an image of myself :-) )?

>     John Marek                                     jmarek@td2cad.intel.com

Has anyone else noticed that when you do turn off the logo, your logins
start to have an extra ~15 second delay before starting?  It's like the
system just sits there any says, "this is the price you pay for not giving
us some extra advertising..."  Or am I just imagining things?

BTW, I have tried (and succeeded) to turn off the DIGITAL logo by adding a
"*displayLogo: off" line to /.Xdefaults (which I believe is the "correct"
way to override the master defaults that are stored in /usr/lib/X11/app-
defaults/{XSessionManager,SessionManager}).

--Mark Hastings					(415) 642-4611
  hastings@ernie.berkeley.edu			..!ucbvax!ernie!hastings

avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) (09/24/89)

There is currently no way -- using our session manager -- to supply your
own image, icon, bitmap, whatever, to display in place of the Digital
logo.  You can turn it on or off.  I guess it never dawned on the designer
that anyne would want to have something else -- like a university name,
project logo, Armando Stettner's saved face from Usenix -- displayed
there.

I understand that it is a product requirement for a future release.

Fred

lindahl@violet.berkeley.edu (Ken Lindahl 642-0866) (09/28/89)

In article <17529@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> hastings@walnut.berkeley.edu (Mark Hastings) writes:

>Has anyone else noticed that when you do turn off the logo, your logins
>start to have an extra ~15 second delay before starting?  It's like the
>system just sits there any says, "this is the price you pay for not giving
>us some extra advertising..."  Or am I just imagining things?

I turned off the logo (now why would anyone want to turn off that nice
Digital logo? :-) also, and I also noticed a significant delay in login
time. It _seemed_ longer than 15 seconds, but I didn't bother timimg it.
Mark, you're not imagining things, and I agree that we're being penalized
for not providing free advertising.

By the way: the copyright string at the bottom of the login box can be
modified (check the app-defaults file) with no apparent penalty (evil
chuckle).

	Ken Lindahl				lindahl@violet.berkeley.edu
	Advanced Technology Planning,
	Information Systems and Technology