[comp.unix.ultrix] How can I change uucp name w/o changing `hostname`?

curci@vsserv.scri.fsu.edu (Raymond Curci) (10/03/89)

I have an ULTRIX server on the internet and am about to connect a few
UUCP sites that will poll us.  We are using the domain name system
and the hostname of the machine in question is 'vsserv.scri.fsu.edu'.
For simplicity, I would like the uucp name (`uuname -l`) to read 'fsu'.
UUCP seems to be getting the system name from the `hostname` command,
truncating anything after the first period if any.  I am sure it would
be possible to change the name if I had source code, but that is not
an option.  There is no /etc/systemid as in Xenix.  Is there some
trick that I am missing, or must I change the hostname to
'fsu.scri.fsu.edu' to get the desired effect?

Raymond Curci

In article <238@vsserv.scri.fsu.edu> curci@vsserv.scri.fsu.edu (Raymond Curci) writes:
> I have an ULTRIX server on the internet and am about to connect a few
> UUCP sites that will poll us.  We are using the domain name system
> and the hostname of the machine in question is 'vsserv.scri.fsu.edu'.
> For simplicity, I would like the uucp name (`uuname -l`) to read 'fsu'.
> UUCP seems to be getting the system name from the `hostname` command,
> truncating anything after the first period if any.

Unless you wish to patch the uucp executable to return some fixed name,
that's what you get - no override or aliasing available...