[comp.unix.ultrix] "max N" clause on "pseudo-device pty" in config file

mbr@aoa.UUCP (Mark Rosenthal) (10/05/89)

We're running Ultrix 3.0 on a VAX 8650.  Most people log in via ethernet.
We've recently added some X-servers, and now that users can open several
windows at once, the number of pseudo-ttys in use at any one time has
increased.  We recently ran out of pseudo-ttys, so we created more special
files in /dev, and added the appropriate lines to /etc/ttys.  I thought it
was probably necessary to allocate more kernel space as well, so I checked
in the Ultrix-32 documentation, System Management Volume 2.  The manual is
entitled Ultrix-32 Guide to System Configuration File Maintenance.  In section
"1.3.4 Pseudodevice Definitions" on page 1-16, it states:

    "Each pseudodevice definition line in the config file defines a driver
     for a particular pseudodevice.  Each pseudodevice definition line begins
     with the keyword pseudodevice, followed by the pseudodevice name.  The
     format is:
	 pseudo-device	name	[max n]
     The name is the name of the pseudodevice.  Configuration files can have
     the following pseudodevice names:

     pty	For pseudoterminal support (default = 16, specify max n for
		 more than 16)."

So, thinking no harm, I modified the config file to read:

    pseudo-device 	pty	max 64

and ran config, which promptly complained about the syntax of the line
immediately preceding the one I had modified.

It also occurs to me that we have been running fine with 32 pseudo-ttys
(tty[pq][0-f]), and if the documentation is to be believed, we should long
ago have run into a limit when we exceeded 16 pseudo-ttys.

So, what gives?  Does the kernel allocate them dynamically as needed?
Am I doing something wrong, or is the documentation just plain wrong?
--
	Mark of the Valley of Roses
	...!bbn.com!aoa!mbr

alan@shodha.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) (10/05/89)

In article <952@aoa.UUCP>, mbr@aoa.UUCP (Mark Rosenthal) writes:

> [ The customer wants more pseudo-terminals... ]
>
> [ Quotes part of the Guide to System Configuration. ]
>
>      pty	For pseudoterminal support (default = 16, specify max n for
> 		 more than 16)."
>
> So, thinking no harm, I modified the config file to read:
>
>     pseudo-device 	pty	max 64

	Leave off the "max" and it should work.

	pseudo-device pty 64

	It sounds like the documentation is being unclear about
	what you're supposed to do.  The part about the default
	being 16 also seems to be a bit of a mystery to me.  Check
	the file pty.h in your kernel build directory and see
	how many it says.  For the configuration file for my VAX
	8800 it said 64, but a test configuration file gave 1.

	Please use the Reader Comment sheet at the end of the
	manual to our documentation group know that that section
	needs to be clarified.

--
Alan Rollow				alan@nabeth.enet.dec.com

In article <439@shodha.dec.com>, alan@shodha.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) writes:
> 	The part about the default being 16 also seems to be a
>	bit of a mystery to me.

	If you look in /sys/data/tty_pty_data.c the mystery of
	the default number of pty's will be solved.  For those
	not wishing to look, the default is 32.

--

In article <952@aoa.UUCP> mbr@aoa (Mark Rosenthal) writes:

>     "Each pseudodevice definition line in the config file...

>     pseudo-device 	pty	max 64
				^^^

	pseudo-device	pty	64

Don't be so literal. 8-)

mbr@aoa.UUCP (Mark Rosenthal) (10/06/89)

In article <952@aoa.UUCP>, I asked how to configure a kernel for additional
ptys.  I mistakenly interpreted (italic)"max n" in the manual as if it were
(bold)"max" (italic) "n", which led me to include "max" as a keyword in
the pseudo-device line in the config file.  Thanks for the responses.  I've
got it working now.

In article <439@shodha.dec.com> alan@shodha.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) writes:
>	It sounds like the documentation is being unclear about
>	what you're supposed to do.  The part about the default
>	being 16 also seems to be a bit of a mystery to me.  Check
>	the file pty.h in your kernel build directory and see
>	how many it says.  For the configuration file for my VAX
>	8800 it said 64, but a test configuration file gave 1.

I can explain this mystery.  The file /sys/data/tty_pty_data.c contains the
following code:

	#if NPTY == 1
	#undef	NPTY
	#define	NPTY	32		/* crude XXX */
	#endif

The documentation clearly should say that the default is 32, not 16.

Thanks to all who responded.
--
	Mark of the Valley of Roses
	...!bbn.com!aoa!mbr