[comp.unix.ultrix] DECwindows

jv@mh.nl (Johan Vromans) (07/22/89)

Does the DECwindows manager dxwm have the possibility of configurable
menus like uwm's "WINDOW OPS" and "EXTENDED WINDOW OPS"?

Is it possible to suppress the title decoration of certain windows?

Thanks, Johan
--
Johan Vromans				       jv@mh.nl via internet backbones
Multihouse Automatisering bv		       uucp: ..!{mcvax,hp4nl}!mh.nl!jv

rr@csuna.cs.uh.edu (Ravindran Ramachandran) (08/07/89)

   I was wondering if there are many people running DECwindows? Basically,
I am going blind by staring at a 14'' terminal with the default fonts. I
spent a lot of time reading the manuals, but they all seem to be written
for the user. But folks like us are not too concerned about the user; we
want to be able to set things as the *default* (ah, the pleasures of such
puny power).

   Anyway, I would like to set up the default font to be other than what
is given by DECwindows. Is there any system default file? (system.Xdefaults?)
I don't mind forcing an entry in every users .Xdefaults file, in the absense
of a system default file, if some kind soul could yodel me the name of the
widget (or resource?) that I have to set. Otherwise, I will have to switch
to uwm, and also will in that case bug the local ULTRIX guru (Alan, beware!)
to help in the setup .

     -- Ravi.

 Internet : rr@cs.uh.edu                  |          System Administrator
          : rr@csv1.cs.uh.edu             |          TCSUH, 617 SR1
 CSNET    : rr@houston.edu                |          University of Houston
 BITNET   : coschmd@uhvax1.bitnet         |          4800, Calhoun
                                          |          Houston, TX - 77204.

Disclaimer :
             #include disclaim.h

karish@forel.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) (08/08/89)

In article <10069@uhnix1.uh.edu> rr@cs.uh.edu wrote:

>   I was wondering if there are many people running DECwindows? Basically,
>I am going blind by staring at a 14'' terminal with the default fonts. I
>spent a lot of time reading the manuals, but they all seem to be written
>for the user. But folks like us are not too concerned about the user; we
>want to be able to set things as the *default* (ah, the pleasures of such
>puny power).
>
>   Anyway, I would like to set up the default font to be other than what
>is given by DECwindows. Is there any system default file? (system.Xdefaults?)

The defaults used for the login screen come from /.Xdefaults.

The defaults used for the user's dxwm session come from /usr/skel/.Xdefaults.

Default settings for the DECWindows themselves come from ~/default.DECTERM
(!).  Luckily, dxterm takes an argument that makes it read from a
different file, which can start with a `.'.

This all works somewhat better on UWS 2.1 than on 2.0. Choosing the
`save' option after customizing the manager or the window edits the
appropriate file.  The options to set the foreground and background
colors for the cursos are buggy (on a DS3100, anyway).

	Chuck Karish		{decwrl,hpda}!mindcrf!karish
	(415) 493-9000		karish@forel.stanford.edu

avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) (08/10/89)

You can set a font set size by putting this in either
/usr/lib/X11/app-defaults/DXterm (for system-wide default) or in your
own .Xdefaults.

DXterm*main.terminal.fontSetSeletion:	0

which will give you the larger fonts.

Fred

rr@csuna.cs.uh.edu (Ravindran Ramachandran) (08/11/89)

In article <JV.89Aug10154556@mhres.mh.nl> jv@mh.nl (Johan Vromans) writes:
>In article <2703@decuac.DEC.COM> avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) writes:
>
>| You can set a font set size by putting this in either
>| /usr/lib/X11/app-defaults/DXterm (for system-wide default) or in your
>| own .Xdefaults.
>|
>| DXterm*main.terminal.fontSetSeletion:	0
>|
>| which will give you the larger fonts.
>
>From my 'dxterm(1X)' documentation:
>
>| fontSetSelection: Specifies which font is set to use. Specify zero for
>|                   little and 1 for big. The default is 1.
>
>Which is right?
>
>	Johan

	I don't know why the manuals are different, but having the value as
    suggested by Fredrick seems to work. As the poster of the original request
    for having a larger font on the system, let my re-clarify my question. I
    had found out how to get the terminal window to have a larger font, by
    using the customize window utilities. However, the problem was when I
    started up other windows, like emacs, the postscript previewer, and the
    session manager, the fonts seemed to be too small for anything but a
    microscope. Having used a SUN before, with its defaults editor (wherein
    you can specify what fonts, etc.), the method by which you have to specify
    things for the DECwindows characteristics seemed a major pain in the ...
    head. I guess those are the drawbacks of using a new and better protocol?

	Anyway, I had got a response from Mr. Ted (Mellon?) on how to get to
   customize the other fonts. No system-wide default, but a .Xdefaults entry.
   The only problem with this was when trying to customize using the session
   manager's options. With a normal font, the popup menu for changing the
   color (say, background) would fit within the display. However, with other
   fonts that window slided out of reach of the mouse, and could not be moved
   either. As the 'save', 'dismiss' buttons were now out of reach, the session
   manager basically went on hold. Solution: Kill the dxsession on node :0.
   Basically, commit hara-kiri. If you still want the stuff I'll tell you how
   to change the font. But please input a standard disclaimer for myself and
   for the person who told me how to do this.

     -- Ravi.

          : ramachandran@uh.edu           |          TCSUH, 617 SR1
 CSNET    : rr@houston.edu                |          University of Houston
 BITNET   : coschmd@uhvax1.bitnet         |          4800, Calhoun
                                          |          Houston, TX - 77204.

Disclaimer :  The opinions mentioned here are purely my own (most of the time);
              however, sometimes my opinions are not THAT pure.

avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) (08/11/89)

I am right.  The doc is wrong.  AT least that is how it works on my
workstation.

Fred

jv@mh.nl (Johan Vromans) (08/11/89)

In article <2703@decuac.DEC.COM> avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) writes:

| You can set a font set size by putting this in either
| /usr/lib/X11/app-defaults/DXterm (for system-wide default) or in your
| own .Xdefaults.
|
| DXterm*main.terminal.fontSetSeletion:	0
|
| which will give you the larger fonts.

From my 'dxterm(1X)' documentation:

| fontSetSelection: Specifies which font is set to use. Specify zero for
|                   little and 1 for big. The default is 1.

Which is right?

	Johan
--
Johan Vromans				       jv@mh.nl via internet backbones
Multihouse Automatisering bv		       uucp: ..!{mcvax,hp4nl}!mh.nl!jv
Doesburgweg 7, 2803 PL Gouda, The Netherlands  phone/fax: +31 1820 62944/62500
------------------------ "Arms are made for hugging" -------------------------

avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) (08/11/89)

You could put, in .Xdefaults, something like (probably exactly like...)

*Text*Font:	some-font-you-want-to-be-the-default

Fred

garyf@mehlville.ncsa.uiuc.edu (09/30/89)

Ok folks, I am tired of the barrage of console messages scribbling
all over my screen.  I am not going to run decwindows, no way, no how.
Xcons won't work (as mentioned here many times before, it messes up
the color server).  Heck, dxterm is 4 times the size of xterm.  I only
have a little 9meg VsII/GPX, what does dec want?

All I really want to do is prevent the messages from clobbering my root
window all the time, and perhaps actually see them (sometimes they
could be important).  Is everyone else out there in ultrix land
merely accepting this problem?? Or, (worse yet IMHO) is everyone
bowing down and swallowing the garbage dec is feeding us about
having to run decwindows to solve the problem?  After all, xcons
WAS on the supported UWS2.0 tape!

I would GREATLY appreciate some constructive help in solving this
problem.  If ANYONE knows how it can be done (heck, SUN kept
TIOCCONS in /usr/include/sys/ioctl.h, why couldn't dec do it?),
PLEASE let me know.

One other question:  how do those folks who run strict MIT server/
clients solve this problem?  I thought I heard xdm metioned a while
back, but after looking at it I became unconvinced that it solved
the problem.

Any clues??

Thanks for any and all help (and for letting me take a small pot
shot at dec).

And as always, this is MERELY my opinion, not that of anyone I am
associated with.

--
Gary Faulkner
National Center for Supercomputing Applications - University of Illinois

hartzell@boulder.Colorado.EDU (George Hartzell) (09/30/89)

Doing this
	cat -u /dev/xcons
in what you want to be your console window will grab all of the
console output to that window.  I was using it in the background for a
while and found that it wasn't getting killed when I logged out like the
other things that that window started up were (twm, xclock, xload), so that
I would eventually have a number of them hanging around fighting over the
console output.  I haven't looked into that yet.

Let me know what you find out about doing it right.
g.
George Hartzell			                  (303) 492-4535
 MCD Biology, University of Colorado-Boulder, Boulder, CO 80309
hartzell@Boulder.Colorado.EDU  ..!{ncar,nbires}!boulder!hartzell

hastings@walnut (Mark Hastings) (10/01/89)

In article <1989Sep30.143118.15880@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> garyf@mehlville.ncsa.uiuc.edu () writes:
>Ok folks, I am tired of the barrage of console messages scribbling
>all over my screen.  I am not going to run decwindows, no way, no how.
>Xcons won't work (as mentioned here many times before, it messes up
>the color server).  Heck, dxterm is 4 times the size of xterm.  I only
>have a little 9meg VsII/GPX, what does dec want?

I run "DecWindows", but certainly not dxterm or dxwm.  Check out *all*
your options by reading up on the dxsession features (such as how to
override dxterm/dxwm - check out sm.windowManagerName/terminalEmulatorName).
The only part of DecWindows I use is dxsession, which takes care of the
console and other minor duties.

Now for two questions about dxsession behavior:
1.	Why does dxsession *always* maintain a 500K or greater resident-set-
	size? (this is on a DECstation 3100 with UWS 3.1)  Shouldn't it
	get paged out when inactive?
2.	Why do the normal console startup messages (such as /etc/motd) not
	appear in the Messages window until you do something that causes
	dxsession to print out a message (such as starting up a new
	terminal from a menu)?

--Mark Hastings				(415) 642-4611
  hastings@ernie.berkeley.edu		..!ucbvax!ernie!hastings

In article <12248@boulder.Colorado.EDU> hartzell@boulder.Colorado.EDU (George Hartzell) writes:
>Doing this
>	cat -u /dev/xcons
>in what you want to be your console window will grab all of the
>console output to that window.  I was using it in the background for a
>while and found that it wasn't getting killed when I logged out like the
>other things that that window started up were (twm, xclock, xload), so that
>I would eventually have a number of them hanging around fighting over the
>console output.  I haven't looked into that yet.
>
>Let me know what you find out about doing it right.

It still makes the Xqdsg server barf.  I'm really tired of
rebooting, too.

				--Blair
				  "SPR!  SPR!  SPR!
				   Okay, where's all the
				   forms gone to?"

santiago@nova.laic.uucp (Ray Santiago) (10/06/89)

I am running DECwindows on a DECstation 3100 and would like to know;

1) how to change the font inside of the terminal window of a DECterm?

2) how can I shade the scroll bar on a DECterm?

3) Why is the icon name of the DECterm not updated in the dxwm title bar
and in the Icon Box icon for different DECterm, it works correctly in
DECwindows under VMS, but under Ultrix all the DECterms are DECterm 1.
	When I do a ps I notice that I have processes like
		/usr/bin/dxterm -ls -n dxterm1
		/usr/bin/dxterm -ls -n dxterm2

4) Is there any way that I can fill the icon box with a bitmap