[comp.unix.ultrix] XNS on Ultrix 3.1

jvanvors@ics.uci.edu (James Matthew Van Vorst) (10/13/89)

Does anyone out there have experience with XNS running on Ultrix 3.1?  Xerox
tried to put XNS on our Ultrix system and it wouldn't compile.  They said
it was because Ultrix wasn't 4.3BSD compatable.  DEC says it is.  Xerox says
the cc compiler on 3.1 is screwey, that it doesn't have all the necessary
librarys and such.  DEC says that they took it straight from their 4.3BSD tape
and that Xerox's source is buggy.  Apparently this particular implementation
of XNS was developed on Sun OS, which has some non-BSD extensions.  So who's
right?  Is Ultrix truly BSD compatible and XNS isn't or vice-versa?

			Thanks in advance,
			Jim Van Vorst (McDonnell Douglas - Huntington Beach)

In article <1989Oct13.022458.10903@paris.ics.uci.edu> jvanvors@ics.uci.edu (James Matthew Van Vorst) writes:
> Does anyone out there have experience with XNS running on Ultrix 3.1?  Xerox
> tried to put XNS on our Ultrix system and it wouldn't compile.  They said
> it was because Ultrix wasn't 4.3BSD compatable.  DEC says it is.  Xerox says
> the cc compiler on 3.1 is screwey, that it doesn't have all the necessary
> librarys and such. DEC says that they took it straight from their 4.3BSD tape
> and that Xerox's source is buggy.  Apparently this particular implementation
> of XNS was developed on Sun OS, which has some non-BSD extensions.  So who's
> right?  Is Ultrix truly BSD compatible and XNS isn't or vice-versa?

Who is "DEC says?" - Ultrix never claims more than limited 4.2 compatibility
and they say nothing of 4.3 other than they adopted the 4.3 "networking code",
which does not necessarily explictly include XNS.  Some 4.3 stuff ports easy
as pie, some is very much an uphill battle.  Of course SunOS thru 3.x isn't
exactly 100% 4.3 BSD either.

You may have a problem on your hands...