[comp.unix.ultrix] How can I tame the mail11v3 ?

hiroshi@saskg.semicon.sony.JUNET (Hiroshi Miyazawa) (10/10/89)

In article <5020@shlump.nac.dec.com>,
	michaud@devax.dec.com (Jeff Michaud) says:
>> Mail11v3 won't work unless you speak extended SMTP to it.  This means
>> you can't use mail11v3 with e.g., Berkeley sendmail.  Incidentally, the
>> extended SMTP protocol (as far as I can tell) is also undocumented.
>
> 	Correct again.  I made sure to state that in the release notes.
> 	We also don't document the two extra SMTP commands (HEAD and MULT)
> 	because I didn't want to commit ourselves to those commands at this point
> 	in time.  The two extra commands only get invoked if the appropriate
> 	mailer flags are defined for the mailer.

 I've verified the behavior described above. Then I have a problem with the
new version of mail11.   I'd been applying a cheap trick to the previous
version of mail11 like follow;

	#MDmail,P=/usr/bin/mail11, F=mnsF, S=17, R=18, A=mail11 $f $x $h $u
	MDmail,P=/usr/bin/mail11F, F=mnsF, S=17, R=18, A=mail11 $f $x $h $u

 "mail11F" calls a filter program which convert the character code and pass
it to "/usr/bin/mail11" as follow;(you know, we are always suffered from many
kinds of Japanese code, it's silly !!)

	main(argc, argv)
		:
	strcpy(cmd, "/usr/local/bin/FILTER | /usr/bin/mail11 ");
		:

 That trick was quite good, because the previous version of mail11 could be
invoked directry from shell.   However the mail11v3 can get the recipient's
name only from the header part of message, and that action (i.e. MULT, HEAD
mode) should be designated by the ULTRIX's sendmail with "H" flag.
 As a result, I've found that it's difficult to apply such trick to mail11v3.
So, I've tried to make an alternate operation like;

	MDmail,	P=/bin/mailF, F=sFDMmn, S=17, R=18, A=mail $h::$u

 "mailF" converts the input data as same as "mail11F" and pass it to /bin/mail,
which can transfer the message to mail11v3 in MULT & HEAD mode. (of course,
there should be generated one more process)
 Certainly, the converted message can be sent to VAX/VMS, but I've got another
problem.  The original sender address was replaced by the "Daemon".

 Does anyone know there is some otion of mail11v3 to designate the MULT and
HEAD mode or there is some option of mail to force the sender address ?.

 I appreciate any of your suggestion.

 Thanks.

Hiroshi Miyazawa			hiroshi@semicon.sony.junet
CAD Dep. Semiconductor Grp. SONY Corp.	hiroshi%semicon.sony.junet@uunet.uu.net
4-14-1 Asahi, Atsugi, Kanagawa Japan	Tel: (+80) 0462-30-5341

moore@betelgeuse.cs.utk.edu (Keith Moore) (10/15/89)

In article <1344@saskg.semicon.sony.JUNET> hiroshi@saskg.semicon.sony.JUNET (Hiroshi Miyazawa) writes:
[descripion of mail11v3 behavior deleted]
> I've verified the behavior described above. Then I have a problem with the
>new version of mail11.   I'd been applying a cheap trick to the previous
>version of mail11 like follow;
>
>	#MDmail,P=/usr/bin/mail11, F=mnsF, S=17, R=18, A=mail11 $f $x $h $u
>	MDmail,P=/usr/bin/mail11F, F=mnsF, S=17, R=18, A=mail11 $f $x $h $u
>
> "mail11F" calls a filter program which convert the character code and pass
>it to "/usr/bin/mail11" as follow;(you know, we are always suffered from many
>kinds of Japanese code, it's silly !!)
>
>	main(argc, argv)
>		:
>	strcpy(cmd, "/usr/local/bin/FILTER | /usr/bin/mail11 ");
>		:

[but this doesn't work with mail11v3]

> I appreciate any of your suggestion.
>
> Thanks.
>
>Hiroshi Miyazawa			hiroshi@semicon.sony.junet
>CAD Dep. Semiconductor Grp. SONY Corp.	hiroshi%semicon.sony.junet@uunet.uu.net
>4-14-1 Asahi, Atsugi, Kanagawa Japan	Tel: (+80) 0462-30-5341

I've mentioned this here before, so I'll be brief this time to avoid needless
repetition.

I wrote my own mail11/mail11d to get around some of the many problems present
in the gateway programs supplied by Digital in various versions of
DECnet-Ultrix.  It is available by anonymous ftp to cs.utk.edu (128.169.201.1)
directory readonly/mail11, files mail11.shar and mail11d.shar .
Or if you don't have ftp access, send mail to moore@cs.utk.edu and I'll mail
them to you.

In particular, my mail11 program retains the old /usr/bin/mail11 interface,
so it would probably drop right in to your mail configuration.  Eventually
I'll build in an SMTP interface (using real SMTP and clever tricks instead
of an extended version of SMTP like mail11v3 uses.)
Keith Moore			Internet: moore@cs.utk.edu
University of Tenn. CS Dept.	BITNET: moore@utkvx
107 Ayres Hall, UT Campus	UT Decnet: utkcs::moore
Knoxville Tennessee 37996-1301	Telephone: +1 615 974 0822