[comp.unix.ultrix] Why doesn't Ultrix support have any tapes

chris@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Chris Peck) (10/12/89)

The Subject line says it all - I've had a problem with my system hanging
for the last 2 months - when ultrix support figured out the problem and
notified me I was given three choices on getting the patch for it:
1. they would send me the patch on a TK-50 (doesn't fit in my 8530).
2. they would sent it to our local DEC rep, who would get it converted over to
   a 9-track tape (how long would that take?)
3. I could send them a tape to put the patch on (I choose this).  This isn't
   a problem it terms of cost - just seems kinda stupid to me - I have had
   no problem getting VMS patches sent to me on tape from DEC - even IBM
   will send patches on our choice of media....

Whats the story here???  Is there anything that I/we can do to fix this problem
or are we the only site who runs Ultrix on a machine without a TK-50 drive?
I wish I was going to DECUS this fall (I'm holding till New Orleans) so I
could nag the folks responsible for this "interesting" policy....
-chris
--
chris@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu    Chris Peck
chris@bingvaxa.bitnet		    SUNY Binghamton, NY

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (10/13/89)

> Whats the story here???  Is there anything that I/we can do to fix this problem
> or are we the only site who runs Ultrix on a machine without a TK-50 drive?

No.  And it's a pain.

Paul DuBois
stewed-monkey-heads@primate.wisc.edu

saus@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Mark Sausville) (10/13/89)

In article <2508@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> chris@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Chris Peck) writes:

   The Subject line says it all - I've had a problem with my system hanging
   for the last 2 months - when ultrix support figured out the problem and
   notified me I was given three choices on getting the patch for it:
   .
   .
   .
   3. I could send them a tape to put the patch on (I choose this).  This isn't
      a problem it terms of cost - just seems kinda stupid to me - I have had
      no problem getting VMS patches sent to me on tape from DEC - even IBM
      will send patches on our choice of media....

   [more elision]

I'd try to make sure that they're actually going to fix your problem
before I jump through too many hoops for them.  I've had a system
(6320 Ultrix 3.1) hanging on and off since July.  I've done a lot of
work for them and they have yet to fix the problem.  As of now, it's
sort of trickling into New Hampshire and I've been assured that it will
be dealt with.  Of course, that's what I've been hearing since early
September (current incarnation of the problem).

Would you like to describe your system hang?

						Mark.

In article <SAUS.89Oct12133949@media-lab.media.mit.edu> saus@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Mark Sausville) writes:
> In article <2508@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> chris@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Chris Peck) writes:
>
>    The Subject line says it all - I've had a problem with my system hanging
>    for the last 2 months - when ultrix support figured out the problem and
>    notified me I was given three choices on getting the patch for it:

I've heard about this TK problem, but as soon as I say I want the patch
on 9-track, 1600 BPI, they say - no problem, got a store room full of
those...

The lesson is: TK50/TK70 - just say "no" to proprietary peripheral designs...

kaiser@cheese.enet.dec.com (10/13/89)

In article <2508@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu>, chris@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Chris Peck) writes...

> ... three choices...:
> 1. they would send me the patch on a TK-50 (doesn't fit in my 8530).
> 2. they would sent it to our local DEC rep, who would get it converted over to
>    a 9-track tape (how long would that take?)
> 3. I could send them a tape to put the patch on (I choose this).  This isn't
>    a problem it terms of cost - just seems kinda stupid to me - I have had
>    no problem getting VMS patches sent to me on tape from DEC - even IBM
>    will send patches on our choice of media....

I'd go for (2) every time, on the principle that it's better to have someone
nearby to nag.  "Converting" (actually just copying) a tape is easy; it can even
be done on (gasp) VMS systems.  Of course it's silly for (whomever) not to have
on hand all the media needed to get kits out to the paying customers, but it
doesn't look like policy to me -- maybe just the situation right then.

Do you have your tape?

---Pete

kaiser@cheese.enet.dec.com
DEC, 2 Mt. Royal Ave. (UPO1-3), Marlboro MA 01752-9108
508-480-4345 (machine: 617-641-3450)

rwa@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Ross Alexander) (10/15/89)

Just to follow up on Chris's gripe - try and get the UWS stuff on
anything except TK50's!  I had to phone Kanata (Canada hq) to get the
part numbers for 9 track.  Then I read the over the phone to my local
rep.  Fine.  Later I get a call "Those are the wrong numbers, muVaxes
can't read 9 tracks, don't you want these nice TK50's instead ??"

ARRRRRRRRRRGGGGH!  I install from a 785/TU78 combo, dammit.  Haven't
these people figured out what RIS implies !?!?

There, I feel much better now.

	Ross