[comp.unix.ultrix] SLIP source code in ULTRIX 3.0

danmra@danvx1.dannet.dk (Mogens Rom Andersen, Udviklingsafdelingen) (10/12/89)

Hey ULTRIX folks

We have an urgent need for SLIP connections to our microvax running ULTRIX 3.0.

There is a bug in ULTRIX 3.0, which means it's impossible to run more than
one SLIP connection, on different net in parallel. Is the problem solved
in ULTRIX 3.1 or is there any hints from DEC on when ?

DEC support says it's no good to ask them because it's unsupported software.
Anybody got hold on the SLIP source code to ULTRIX 3.0 ? How, when & where ?

We have to find a solution, so we will try to port the BSD 4.3 SLIP to
ULTRIX 3.0. Did anybody try the same solution and did you have succes ?

Any other obscure proposals ?

	Mogens Rom Andersen
	danNet a/s
	3460 Birkerod
	Denmark

	+4545821600 room 2139

In article <25@danvx1.dannet.dk> danmra@danvx1.dannet.dk (Mogens Rom Andersen, Udviklingsafdelingen) writes:
> Hey ULTRIX folks
>
> We have an urgent need for SLIP connections to our microvax running ULTRIX 3.0.
>
> There is a bug in ULTRIX 3.0, which means it's impossible to run more than
> one SLIP connection, on different net in parallel. Is the problem solved
> in ULTRIX 3.1 or is there any hints from DEC on when ?

This problem has been reported here a number of times, with no particular
conclusion posted.  The code is supposed to be derived from the standard
slip sources, however it has been integrated is a somewhat different
manner.  It's not clear whether then limitation of 1 line is because it
was compiled that way, or whether it's a bug in the Ultrix implementation.

It would be nice if somebody could look in the sources and see if there
is a compile time option for number of lines.  If so, it's probably
patchable.  I don't have the time right now to go though adb analysis
of the code...

shin@silk.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp (Shin Yoshimura) (10/15/89)

In article <8164@cbmvax.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:

 >In article <25@danvx1.dannet.dk> danmra@danvx1.dannet.dk (Mogens Rom Andersen, Udviklingsafdelingen) writes:
 >>
 >> There is a bug in ULTRIX 3.0, which means it's impossible to run more than
 >> one SLIP connection, on different net in parallel. Is the problem solved
 >> in ULTRIX 3.1 or is there any hints from DEC on when ?
 >
 >This problem has been reported here a number of times, with no particular
 >conclusion posted.  The code is supposed to be derived from the standard
 >slip sources, however it has been integrated is a somewhat different
 >manner.  It's not clear whether then limitation of 1 line is because it
 >was compiled that way, or whether it's a bug in the Ultrix implementation.
 >
 >It would be nice if somebody could look in the sources and see if there
 >is a compile time option for number of lines.  If so, it's probably
 >patchable.  I don't have the time right now to go though adb analysis
 >of the code...

I hear that this bug is fixed on Ultrix 3.1.  Has anyone try it ?

--
Shin Yoshimura
Dept. of Chem., Coll. of Arts & Sci., The Univ. of Tokyo., JAPAN

poole@chx400.switch.ch (Simon Poole) (10/16/89)

In article <SHIN.89Oct15140730@silk.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp> shin@silk.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp (Shin Yoshimura) writes:
>In article <8164@cbmvax.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>
> >This problem has been reported here a number of times, with no particular
> >conclusion posted.  The code is supposed to be derived from the standard
> >slip sources, however it has been integrated is a somewhat different
> >manner.  It's not clear whether then limitation of 1 line is because it
> >was compiled that way, or whether it's a bug in the Ultrix implementation.
Somewhere in /usr/sys/<your_system> there's a file sl.h lying around with
#define NSL 1
in it (if you have SLIP configured, otherwise its 0). According to the
BSD 4.3 sources this determines the max number of SLIP
lines. So I would assumed that it is actually compiled for only one
line.

>I hear that this bug is fixed on Ultrix 3.1.  Has anyone try it ?
                  ^^^ bug? It seems to be deliberate. Anyway it's probably
still around (I haven't actually tested 3.1 with more than one SLIP
connection).

						Simon Poole
 poole@verw.switch.ch/poole@chx400.switch.ch/mcvax!cernvax!chx400!poole

hurf@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Hurf Sheldon) (10/19/89)

	Looking at the original source by Rick Adams and Chris
	Torek, the driver takes the arguement of NSL for setting
	up the number of registers, structures, etc to handle 2
        (or more) connections and the recommendation of adding
	'psuedo-device sl	2'
	in your /sys/conf/yoursystem file does make
	 /sys/yoursystem/sl.h contain
	'define NSL 2' (after 'config yoursystem')
         under Ultrix3.1 so I would try this and see if two connections
	are possible once you rebuilt your kernal.

	Let us know...
hurf
--
     Hurf Sheldon			 Network: hurf@ionvax.tn.cornell.edu