[comp.unix.ultrix] Problem with DECnet mailer -- long To: lines

peirce@gumby.cc.wmich.edu (Leonard J. Peirce) (10/12/89)

Some people here receive mail that have rather long To: lines, either
from individuals or small mailing lists.  The mail comes into our Ultrix
gateway (3.0) which then attempts to send it over DECnet to our VAXcluster.

The problem is that the long To: lines make the DECnet mailer barf.
The message I get is

   Deferred: Lost connection to remote node while confirming delivery

When I edit the qf file and shorten the To: line, it delivers just fine.

Has anyone else had this problem?  Does anyone have a fix?  Or perhaps this a
problem on the VMS side (maybe I should post to comp.os.vms).
------
Leonard J. Peirce               Internet:  peirce@gumby.cc.wmich.edu
Western Michigan University                peirce@gw.wmich.edu
Academic Computer Center        UUCP:      ...!uunet!sharkey!wmichgw!peirce
Kalamazoo, MI  49008

This is STILL the Al Franken Decade.....

moore@betelgeuse.cs.utk.edu (Keith Moore) (10/15/89)

In article <886@gumby.cc.wmich.edu> peirce@gumby.cc.wmich.edu (Leonard J. Peirce) writes:
>Some people here receive mail that have rather long To: lines, either
>from individuals or small mailing lists.  The mail comes into our Ultrix
>gateway (3.0) which then attempts to send it over DECnet to our VAXcluster.
>
>The problem is that the long To: lines make the DECnet mailer barf.
>The message I get is
>
>   Deferred: Lost connection to remote node while confirming delivery
>
>When I edit the qf file and shorten the To: line, it delivers just fine.

The problem may be that the To: line in MAIL-11 is written as a single record
over DECNet, and is therefore can be no longer than 512 bytes.  The mail11v3
program should (but perhaps is not) truncating To: lines longer than this.
--
Keith Moore			Internet: moore@cs.utk.edu
University of Tenn. CS Dept.	BITNET: moore@utkvx

peirce@gumby.cc.wmich.edu (Leonard J. Peirce) (10/19/89)

>The problem may be that the To: line in MAIL-11 is written as a single record
>over DECNet, and is therefore can be no longer than 512 bytes.  The mail11v3
>program should (but perhaps is not) truncating To: lines longer than this.

I was informed by someone at DEC that this is a known problem with the mail
software on VMS.  Apparently, when an Ultrix mailer is talking to a VMS mailer,
the VMS side identifies itself as being an Ultrix mailer and therefore thinks
the long To: lines are ok.  The VMS side gets it and barfs.  Sigh....

I'm going to file an SPR on this as soon as I get five minutes.
-----
Leonard J. Peirce               Internet:  peirce@gumby.cc.wmich.edu
Western Michigan University                peirce@gw.wmich.edu
Academic Computer Center        UUCP:      ...!uunet!sharkey!wmichgw!peirce
Kalamazoo, MI  49008            Phone:     (616) 387-5469

This is STILL the Al Franken Decade.....