[comp.unix.ultrix] Yellow Pages problem

raph@tigger.planet.bt.co.uk (Raphael Mankin) (10/18/89)

I have a problem with Yellow Pages and services. I am running the
servers on Ultrix 3.0.

If I am running YP then my servers, but not the clients, have certain
services missing. I get messages like 'unknown service fingerd' from
inetd. The number and choice of missing services varies with the
services file that I am using. The missing services are actually in
both /etc/services and /etc/yp/services.
--
Raphael Mankin				+44 473 642870
raph@planet.bt.co.uk

collins@grumpy.cs.unm.edu (Bill Collins) (10/25/89)

In article <564@tigger.planet.bt.co.uk> raph@tigger.planet.bt.co.uk (Raphael Mankin) writes:

>I have a problem with Yellow Pages and services.
	  ^^^^^^^
Only one? :-)

>If I am running YP then my servers, but not the clients, have certain
>services missing.

I think I understand what you are asking/saying.  Ypbind won't give a complete
map?

If you are running YP(my condolences) and you are serving stuff, make sure that
there are no blank lines in /etc/services on your ypserver.  The hashing
function doesn't like white space in there.  This problem was not unique to
Ultrix.

					Bill
					collins@turing.cs.unm.edu
			collins@unmvax.unm.edu