[comp.unix.ultrix] Ethernet Problems

marsh@umt.UUCP (Paul Marsh) (10/18/89)

I'm experiencing major problems getting our ethernet running in the following
configuration.  We have a VAX 11/785, running ULTRIX 3.1.  The dmz and dmf0
are DEC dm{f,z}'s, while dmf1 through dmf14 are on an ABLE Computer Inc. dmf
emulation board.  If I configure the kernel with only 11 ABLE dmf emulation
modules, the ethernet works without a hitch.  Once the twelveth module is added,
I get 5 "dmfdbint" messages on reload, immediately following the string "DECNET
started", and prior to the string saying the circuit is up.  We recently
upgraded from ULTRIX 1.2, but we didn't have an ethernet controller on this
machine at that time, so I don't know if the problem pre-existed.  Any insight
on this would be greatly appreciated.

=======   Part of UMT config file   =======
adapter        uba0      at  nexus ?
controller     uq0       at  uda0      csr 0172150   vector uqintr
disk           ra0       at  uq0       drive 0
disk           ra1       at  uq0       drive 1
controller     uda0      at  uba0
device	       de0	 at  uba0      csr 0174510   vector deintr
adapter        mba0      at  nexus ?
master         mt0       at  mba0      drive 0
tape           mu0       at  mt0       slave 0

device         dmz0  at   uba0  csr  0160440  flags  0xffffff
      vector  dmzrinta  dmzxinta  dmzrintb  dmzxintb  dmzrintc  dmzxintc
device         dmf0  at   uba0  csr  0161000  flags  0x4400df
      vector  dmfsrint  dmfsxint  dmfdaint  dmfdbint  dmfrint  dmfxint  dmflint
device         dmf1  at   uba0  csr  0161040  flags  0x00ff
      vector  dmfsrint  dmfsxint  dmfdaint  dmfdbint  dmfrint  dmfxint  dmflint
device         dmf2  at   uba0  csr  0161100  flags  0x00ff
      vector  dmfsrint  dmfsxint  dmfdaint  dmfdbint  dmfrint  dmfxint  dmflint
device         dmf3  at   uba0  csr  0161140  flags  0x00ff
      vector  dmfsrint  dmfsxint  dmfdaint  dmfdbint  dmfrint  dmfxint  dmflint
device         dmf4  at   uba0  csr  0161200  flags  0x00ff
      vector  dmfsrint  dmfsxint  dmfdaint  dmfdbint  dmfrint  dmfxint  dmflint
device         dmf5  at   uba0  csr  0161240  flags  0x00ff
      vector  dmfsrint  dmfsxint  dmfdaint  dmfdbint  dmfrint  dmfxint  dmflint
devic         dmf6  at   uba0  csr  0161300  flags  0x00ff
      vector  dmfsrint  dmfsxint  dmfdaint  dmfdbint  dmfrint  dmfxint  dmflint
device         dmf7  at   uba0  csr  0161340  flags  0x00ff
      vector  dmfsrint  dmfsxint  dmfdaint  dmfdbint  dmfrint  dmfxint  dmflint
device         dmf8  at   uba0  csr  0161400  flags  0x00ff
      vector  dmfsrint  dmfsxint  dmfdaint  dmfdbint  dmfrint  dmfxint  dmflint
device         dmf9  at   uba0  csr  0161440  flags  0x00ff
      vector  dmfsrint  dmfsxint  dmfdaint  dmfdbint  dmfrint  dmfxint  dmflint
device         dmf10 at   uba0  csr  0161500  flags  0x00ff
      vector  dmfsrint  dmfsxint  dmfdaint  dmfdbint  dmfrint  dmfxint  dmflint
device         dmf11 at   uba0  csr  0161540  flags  0x00ff
      vector  dmfsrint  dmfsxint  dmfdaint  dmfdbint  dmfrint  dmfxint  dmflint
device         dmf12 at   uba0  csr  0161600  flags  0x00ff
      vector  dmfsrint  dmfsxint  dmfdaint  dmfdbint  dmfrint  dmfxint  dmflint
device         dmf13 at   uba0  csr  0161640  flags  0x00ff
      vector  dmfsrint  dmfsxint  dmfdaint  dmfdbint  dmfrint  dmfxint  dmflint
device         dmf14 at   uba0  csr  0161700  flags  0x00ff
      vector  dmfsrint  dmfsxint  dmfdaint  dmfdbint  dmfrint  dmfxint  dmflint

--
UUCP :	... ! {apple,ucdavis} ! umt ! marsh
US Mail :	Paul Marsh,	University of Montana, Computer Center

In article <784@umt.UUCP> marsh@umt.UUCP (Paul Marsh) writes:
> I'm experiencing major problems getting our ethernet running in the following
> configuration.  We have a VAX 11/785, running ULTRIX 3.1.  The dmz and dmf0
> are DEC dm{f,z}'s, while dmf1 through dmf14 are on an ABLE Computer Inc. dmf
> emulation board.  If I configure the kernel with only 11 ABLE dmf emulation
> modules, the ethernet works without a hitch.

My recollection is that the Ultrix SPD claims that no more than 10 of a
particular interface type can be configured.  This may have to do with the
configuration parameters used for the BINARY.vax modules, in which case
you probably start stomping over somebody else's data area when you go beyond
the pre-configured limit.

If this is so, I'm not sure there's an elegant solution w/o source...

marsh@umt.UUCP (Paul Marsh) (10/26/89)

Sorry for having to repost this.  We lost some news in the process of
switching our primary news feed site.  On 17-Oct I posted a query about
the possibility of too many dmf devices causing the ethernet to hang.
The only symptoms are, that we can configure a V3.1 kernel with 11 (ABLE
Computer) dmf's, and everything works fine.  Once I configure a kernel
with 12, I get 5 "dmfdbint" messages upon reload, and the ethernet is no
longer functional.  DECNET reports the circuit as being up, but now
/etc/dnet_check fails, (where it worked before).  Rlogin also fails, where
it also worked before.  If anyone had any ideas on this, or any information
about the cause of the "dmfdbinit's", could you mail them to me?  Thanks.