[comp.unix.ultrix] Use of rwalld

mjb@acd4.UUCP ( Mike Bryan ) (10/26/89)

Ultrix uses the rwalld program to print messages whenever an NFS
server system is being rebooted.  However, I can find no documented
way to utilize this for my own general-purpose "rwall" needs.  Does
anyone know how to do this?  Is there a publicly available program
which interfaces with rwalld?  Is the interface documented anywhere?

Personally, I could use an rwall program quite frequently.  Why
doesn't DEC supply one?  99% of the code already exists in rwalld and
shutdown...

--
Mike Bryan, Applied Computing Devices, 100 N Campus Dr, Terre Haute IN 47802
Phone: 812/232-6051  FAX: 812/231-5280  Home: 812/232-0815

hurf@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Hurf Sheldon) (10/26/89)

In article <1989Oct25.212301.22755@acd4.UUCP> mjb@acd4.UUCP ( Mike Bryan          ) writes:

>Ultrix uses the rwalld program to print messages whenever an NFS
>server system is being rebooted.  However, I can find no documented
>way to utilize this for my own general-purpose "rwall" needs.  Does

	'echo "server going down" |rsh client wall'

 There are obviously many script variants that can be tailored to
 your own systems.

hurf
--
     Hurf Sheldon			 Network: hurf@ionvax.tn.cornell.edu