[comp.unix.ultrix] yp problem

francus@e2big.dec.com (Yoseff Francus) (10/26/89)

Make sure that the /etc/services file doesn't have blank lines
in it.

--
In Xanadu did Kubla Khan
A stately pleasure dome decree

yf%pernod.dec.com@decwrl.dec.com

grunwald@foobar.colorado.edu (Dirk Grunwald) (10/26/89)

Another possible problem (one I have locally) is that your yp master
is a Sun workstation, and that they don't have all the service entries
in their /etc/services.

This brings up a good point; just as there is an /etc/svcorder that
applies to the hosts table, it would be nice if there was an ordering
spec to apply to e.g., services, etc. Perhaps /etc/svcorder should be
extended (and cached to avoid reparsing all the file) to something
like:

svcorder
---------
hosts		local bind yp
services	local
protocols 	yp
group	 	local
passwd	 	yp

or whatever. I don't have the power to change the YP master in my
domain.  However, I can set myself up as a slave YP server & just
generate my own local services files. This doesn't work out too well,
because if someone else uses me as a server, they don't get the Sun
services, unless I add them. It would be nice to avoid this kind of
headache.

Dirk Grunwald -- Univ. of Colorado at Boulder	(grunwald@foobar.colorado.edu)

rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) (10/27/89)

In article <13163@boulder.Colorado.EDU> grunwald@foobar.colorado.edu writes:

>This brings up a good point; just as there is an /etc/svcorder that
>applies to the hosts table, it would be nice if there was an ordering
>spec to apply to e.g., services, etc. Perhaps /etc/svcorder should be
>extended (and cached to avoid reparsing all the file) to something
>like:
>
>svcorder
>---------
>hosts		local bind yp
>services	local
>protocols 	yp
>group	 	local
>passwd	 	yp

It's very doable: in fact, our next release of RISC/os for MIPS RISComputers
and RISCstations uses a similar file called vis.conf (Virtual Information
Service).  It allows specifications for hosts, services, protocols, group,
netgroup, and passwd, including search paths for "dns" (domain name server),
"file" and "yp".