[comp.unix.ultrix] Idle Time on Console Under DECwindows

muhanna@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (Waleed A Muhanna) (10/27/89)

I run DECwindows (UWS 2.0) on a VAXstation.  A simple, perhaps naive,
question is this:

Why does the output of finger show me logged on "co" (the console) with
hundreds of days idle time?   It is clear to me that the console output gets
directed to the session manager's main window which doesn't take direct
keyboard input.

The thing I cannot understand is that this condition persist across system
reboots.   Any explanation would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Waleed Muhanna

avolio@decuac.DEC.COM (Frederick M. Avolio) (10/28/89)

In article <73253@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>,
muhanna@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (Waleed A Muhanna) writes:

> I run DECwindows (UWS 2.0) on a VAXstation.  A simple, perhaps naive,
> question is this:
>
> Why does the output of finger show me logged on "co" (the console) with
> hundreds of days idle time?   It is clear to me that the console output gets
> directed to the session manager's main window which doesn't take direct
> keyboard input.

This is -- in my opinion anyway -- a bug in DECwindows.  IN parrticular,
the session manager logs the information in /etc/utmp that you are
logged in on the console, but never removes that information when you
log out.  (The idle time will tend to grow since you are only using
the console as a read/display "device".)

Fred