[comp.unix.ultrix] Domain names & /etc/exports

grunwald@foobar.colorado.edu (Dirk Grunwald) (10/21/89)

This problem has arisen twice now, so I want to get the staight poop.

According to some RFC, domain names are supposedly case insensitive.

however, we were trying to export /usr/local@foobar to /usr/local@soma.
the local domain is specified as Colorado.EDU.

We could only export the name when we used:

/usr/local soma.Colorado.EDU

According to the documentation, and and RFC, any of the following should work.

/usr/local soma.Colorado.EDU
/usr/local soma.colorado.edu
/usr/local sOmA.cOlOrAdO.EdU
/usr/local soma

Is this an ultrix resolver library bug or mountd_nfs bug? This same
problem occured when exporting a file system to an Encore Multimax
running their port of 4.3. I wonder if this isn't a 4.3 problem as
well?

But there are two issues as well: why doesn't ``soma'' work by itself?

Dirk Grunwald -- Univ. of Colorado at Boulder	(grunwald@foobar.colorado.edu)

In article <13019@boulder.Colorado.EDU> grunwald@foobar.colorado.edu writes:

> This problem has arisen twice now, so I want to get the staight poop.
>
> According to some RFC, domain names are supposedly case insensitive.
> however, we were trying to export /usr/local@foobar to /usr/local@soma.
> the local domain is specified as Colorado.EDU.

Domain names seem to be only case insensitive as far as *mail* routing
is concerened.  It appears that most(/all?) of the standard tcp stuff
has some case sensitivity.

I haven't the faintest idea whether there is some other RFC that makes
an explicit statment to this effect, or it's that everythign just happens
to be broken.

treese@crltrx.crl.dec.com (Win Treese) (10/23/89)

In article <13019@boulder.Colorado.EDU> grunwald@foobar.colorado.edu writes:

>This problem has arisen twice now, so I want to get the staight poop.
>
>According to some RFC, domain names are supposedly case insensitive.
>
>however, we were trying to export /usr/local@foobar to /usr/local@soma.
>the local domain is specified as Colorado.EDU.
>
>We could only export the name when we used:
>
>/usr/local soma.Colorado.EDU

It's a mountd misfeature.  What happens is this:

	- mounted receives a request from a.b.c.d (address)
	- it looks up the address to get the name
	- it matches the string it gets back against the names
		in the exports file

It should do case-insensitive comparisons, but it doesn't.  It would
be appreciated if you file an SPR on it.

Note that programs that use .rhosts typically have the same problem.

Win Treese						Cambridge Research Lab
treese@crl.dec.com					Digital Equipment Corp.

litwack@dccs.upenn.edu (Mark Litwack) (10/31/89)

> It's a mountd misfeature.  What happens is this:
>
>	- mounted receives a request from a.b.c.d (address)
>	- it looks up the address to get the name
>	- it matches the string it gets back against the names
>		in the exports file

Not quite.  The name that is matched is the name that the requesting
machine sends the server.  It's strange to do the security check this
way because a requesting machine could lie about its name.

You have to start /etc/mountd with the -i option to make it verify
the IP address as described above (which is not the DEC default).

-mark

grunwald@foobar.colorado.edu (Dirk Grunwald) (10/31/89)

In article <16145@netnews.upenn.edu> litwack@dccs.upenn.edu (Mark Litwack) writes:

   > It's a mountd misfeature.  What happens is this:
   >
   >	- mounted receives a request from a.b.c.d (address)
   >	- it looks up the address to get the name
   >	- it matches the string it gets back against the names
   >		in the exports file

   Not quite.  The name that is matched is the name that the requesting
   machine sends the server.  It's strange to do the security check this
   way because a requesting machine could lie about its name.

   You have to start /etc/mountd with the -i option to make it verify
   the IP address as described above (which is not the DEC default).

   -mark

---

not only is it not supported, but on an DECstation 3100 with Ultrix 3.1,
we get...

# /etc/mountd -i
# ps -augx | grep mountd
root     28387  0.0  0.3   40   32 p0 S     0:00 grep mountd
# /etc/mountd
# !ps
ps -augx | grep mountd
root     28389  0.0  1.3  192  156 p0 S     0:00 /etc/mountd
root     28391  0.0  0.3   40   32 p0 S     0:00 grep mountd
#

i.e. /etc/mountd doesn't appear to work.

and yes, I'd file an SPR, but I *still* don't know how to do this
electroniclly (or at all, actually).

grunwald@foobar.colorado.edu (Dirk Grunwald) (10/31/89)

....and on the subject of mountd

is there any reason this couldn't be started by /etc/inted? does it
really need to run *all* the time?