[comp.unix.ultrix] dxsession manager on NCD16 terminal possible?

rcpt@eutrc4.urc.tue.nl (Piet Tutelaers) (11/09/89)

We have a NCD16 X11 terminal and have connected it to a DECstation 3100. We
can't get the dxsession manager running on the NCD16 X11 display.

Is this possible and if so how?

uucp:   rcpt@urc.tue.nl       | Piet Tutelaers        Room  RC 1.90
bitnet: rcpt@heithe5.BITNET   | Eindhoven University of  Technology
phone:  +31 (0)40 474541      | P.O. Box 513, 5600 MB Eindhoven, NL

mikey@atocha.pa.dec.com (Mike Yang) (11/09/89)

In article <1253@eutrc3.urc.tue.nl>, rcpt@eutrc4.urc.tue.nl (Piet
Tutelaers) writes:

> We have a NCD16 X11 terminal and have connected it to a DECstation 3100. We
> can't get the dxsession manager running on the NCD16 X11 display.
>
> Is this possible and if so how?

You probably can't get dxsession to run on your X terminal because dxsession
tries to set your host access list.  For X terminals, this generates an
X error because dxsession isn't running on your "local" machine.  I presume
that the NCD16 has it's own method of setting security.

Once you get UWS 2.2, you can put "sm.security: False" in your .Xdefaults
and dxsession won't do this.  I don't believe there's a way to make the
UWS 2.1 version of dxsession work.

Mike Yang	   Western Software Laboratory	Digital Equipment Corporation
mikey@wsl.dec.com	  decwrl!mikey			 415/853-6677

graham@fuel.dec.com (kris graham) (11/09/89)

Tutelaers) writes:
> From: rcpt@eutrc4.urc.tue.nl (Piet Tutelaers)
> Subject: dxsession manager on NCD16 terminal possible?

Why not use Xdm......that should work fine...?

Christopher Graham
Digital Equipment Corp
Ultrix Resource Center
New York City

swatt@cup.portal.com (Steven Edward Watt) (11/14/89)

graham@fuel.dec.com writes:

>In article <1253@eutrc3.urc.tue.nl>, rcpt@eutrc4.urc.tue.nl (Piet
>Tutelaers) writes:
>> From: rcpt@eutrc4.urc.tue.nl (Piet Tutelaers)
>> Subject: dxsession manager on NCD16 terminal possible?
>
>Why not use Xdm......that should work fine...?
>
>Christopher Graham
>Digital Equipment Corp
>Ultrix Resource Center
>New York City

Possibly because Xdm isn't on the Ultrix distribution????

Naah...

Steve Watt
swatt@cup.portal.com    ...!ucbvax!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!swatt

dbb@riscy.enet.dec.com (David Barrett) (11/14/89)

In article <24039@cup.portal.com>, swatt@cup.portal.com (Steven Edward
Watt) writes:

> graham@fuel.dec.com writes:
> >
> >Why not use Xdm......that should work fine...?
>
> Possibly because Xdm isn't on the Ultrix distribution????

It sure is - it's on the ULTRIX 3.1/UWS 2.1 upgrade tape (supported).

FYI - anyone running ULTRIX should absolutely get this upgrade - it's a much
better(more recent version, better performance, etc.) X11 environment.

	David Barrett

	dbb@riscy.enet.dec.com
	..!decwrl!riscy.enet!dbb