[comp.unix.ultrix] Increasing number of users in Ultrix 1.2

klg@dukeac.UUCP (Kim Greer) (11/14/89)

  We have a microvax II gpx running Ultrix 1.2.  Two years ago when we
got the machine, we opted to go with the much less expensive 2 user
license (compared to 8 or 16, the next step up) since at the time our
group consisted of 3 or so full time people.  Now we have several more
people that would often like to be (r)logged in simultaneously.  Wtihout
springing for the cost of new tapes, is there a simple way to change
the number of allowed users without violating licensing agreements ?

alan@shodha.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) (11/15/89)

In article <1638@dukeac.UUCP>, klg@dukeac.UUCP (Kim Greer) writes:

>   We have a microvax II gpx running Ultrix 1.2.  Two years ago when we
> got the machine, we opted to go with the much less expensive 2 user
> license (compared to 8 or 16, the next step up) since at the time our
> group consisted of 3 or so full time people.  Now we have several more
> people that would often like to be (r)logged in simultaneously.  Wtihout
> springing for the cost of new tapes, is there a simple way to change
> the number of allowed users without violating licensing agreements ?

	I don't remember exactly, but I think V1.2 had the login
	limit hardcoded into machdep.o.  There was a different
	version of it for each user limit.  Since the current
	version is now V3.1, get the right machdep.o will probably
	be next to impossible.  Even harder if you want to be
	legal about it.

	Starting in V2.0 the login limit was controlled by a file
	call /upgrade.  A command in rc.local would read it to
	set the login limit.  The first of the data in that hasn't
	changed since then, making the upgrade portable between
	all the intervening versions (V2.0, V2.2, V2.3, V3.0 and
	V3.1).

	In short; No, I don't be believe there is a *simple* way
	of changing the user limit.
--
Alan Rollow				alan@nabeth.enet.dec.com

karish@forel.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) (11/15/89)

In article <479@shodha.dec.com> alan@shodha.dec.com
( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) wrote:
>In article <1638@dukeac.UUCP>, klg@dukeac.UUCP (Kim Greer) writes:
>>   We have a microvax II gpx running Ultrix 1.2.

>> Wtihout
>> springing for the cost of new tapes, is there a simple way to change
>> the number of allowed users without violating licensing agreements ?

>	I don't remember exactly, but I think V1.2 had the login
>	limit hardcoded into machdep.o.

This is correct.  There's no need to buy new distribution media; you
only need one file.

>	Since the current
>	version is now V3.1, get the right machdep.o will probably
>	be next to impossible.  Even harder if you want to be
>	legal about it.

What's the big deal?  Pay the license fee, and anyone reading this
group who has access to a 1.2 system can legally send you their machdep.o
by FTP, UUCP, or US mail.

>	In short; No, I don't be believe there is a *simple* way
>	of changing the user limit.

# cd /usr/sys/BINARY.mvax
# mv machdep.o machdep.o.2usr
# cp /tmp/machdep.o .