[comp.unix.ultrix] Ultrix on uVax I

massey@typhoon.atmos.colostate.edu (Todd Massey) (11/11/89)

I am currently in need of information.
I want to place ultrix on a uVax I and i need to know what the
newest version is that will run on it.  The version has to support
the dgateway software, because this machine is to be used as a
decnet/tcp-ip gateway.

Thanks,
Todd
===============\==============================================================
Todd Massey     \ Don't write in starlight cause the words may come out real
E-mail: massey@  \ Don't dream of women for they will only bring you down
 typhoon.atmos.   \ Don't hide in doorways, for you may find the key that
 colostate.edu     \             opens up your soul!!!!
====================\=========================================================

alan@shodha.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) (11/11/89)

In article <3138@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU>, massey@typhoon.atmos.colostate.edu (Todd Massey) writes:
> I want to place ultrix on a uVax I and i need to know what the
> newest version is that will run on it.

	The last version of ULTRIX to support the MicroVAX I
	was the ULTRIX-32m V1.2.  We are now at V3.1.

> The version has to support the dgateway software, because this
> machine is to be used as a decnet/tcp-ip gateway.

	That version of ULTRIX did support DECnet, but I don't
	think the DECnet-Internet Gateway was around then.

	If you do manange to find a copy of V1.2 for the MicroVAX
	I be sure to get the version for your floating point type.

> Thanks,

	You're welcome.

--
Alan Rollow				alan@nabeth.enet.dec.com

pat@orac.pgh.pa.us (Pat Barron) (11/14/89)

In article <475@shodha.dec.com> alan@shodha.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) writes:
>In article <3138@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU>, massey@typhoon.atmos.colostate.edu (Todd Massey) writes:
>> I want to place ultrix on a uVax I and i need to know what the
>> newest version is that will run on it.
>
>	The last version of ULTRIX to support the MicroVAX I
>	was the ULTRIX-32m V1.2.  We are now at V3.1.

Well, even though it's not "supported", I *have* run Ultrix 2.2 on a
MicroVAX I, and it worked just fine.  One thing you can't do is load
Ultrix 2.2 on to a MicroVAX I over the net (with ris), apparently because
the ris in-memory kernel needs at least 5 megabytes of memory, and the
maximum memory on a MicroVAX I is 4 megabytes.  You need to either start
with a system already running Ultrix 1.2 (you can install Ultrix 2.2 over
top of it), or else install the software on a MicroVAX II, and then move
the disk to the MicroVAX I.

--Pat.
--
Pat Barron
Internet:  pat@orac.pgh.pa.us  - or -   orac!pat@gateway.sei.cmu.edu

parker@zaphod.mpr.ca (Ross Parker) (11/15/89)

Wayward Notes File.) writes:
>In article <3138@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU>,
massey@typhoon.atmos.colostate.edu (Todd Massey) writes:
>> I want to place ultrix on a uVax I and i need to know what the
>> newest version is that will run on it.
>
>	The last version of ULTRIX to support the MicroVAX I
>	was the ULTRIX-32m V1.2.  We are now at V3.1.

Nope.... you lose. I would have hoped that someone from DEC would have
gotten this one right!!! :-)

	The last version to support the MicroVax I was Ultrix 2.0.
This version will give you NFS support, and I believe it also gave Decnet-
Internet gateway support.

	We're running 2.0 on our Microvax I, albeit without DECnet... the
box is a terrible slug already. I didn't keep a copy of the release notes for
2.0, but I know that I upgraded that system to the latest possible release.

	Be sure that you *really* want to use this beast... the power of a PC
for the cost of a Vax.

>> Thanks,

My pleasure...

>> Todd Massey     \ Don't write in starlight cause the words may come out real

Ross Parker      				| Why do they put me down?
Microtel Pacific Research Ltd.			| Make out that I'm a clown?
Burnaby, B.C.,	     				| I drink scotch whisky all
Canada, eh?	     uunet!ubc-cs!mpre!parker	|	 day long
(604)293-5495	     parker@mpre.mpr.ca		| Yeah I'm gonna save my money
Disclaimer:					| (gonna put it all away...)
My fingers are doing all the work...		| 'Cause I'm a Scotsman

In article <1887@eric.mpr.ca> parker@zaphod.mpr.ca (Ross Parker) writes:
> In article <475@shodha.dec.com>, alan@shodha.dec.com ( Alan's Home for
> Wayward Notes File.) writes:
> >In article <3138@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU>,
> massey@typhoon.atmos.colostate.edu (Todd Massey) writes:
> >> I want to place ultrix on a uVax I and i need to know what the
> >> newest version is that will run on it.
> >	The last version of ULTRIX to support the MicroVAX I
> >	was the ULTRIX-32m V1.2.  We are now at V3.1.
> Nope.... you lose. I would have hoped that someone from DEC would have
> gotten this one right!!! :-)

Come on, cut the guy a break!  The last Ultrix-32m SPD I can find is for
Ultrix-32 1.2A, and the Ultrix 2.0 SPD doesn't say anything about either
the MicroVAX I or II.  I'm not sure exactly which 2.x release officially
introduced support for the Microvax II into the mainstream release...

parker@zaphod.Berkeley.EDU (Ross Parker) (11/16/89)

In article <8570@cbmvax.UUCP>,  grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>In article <1887@eric.mpr.ca> parker@zaphod.mpr.ca (Ross Parker) writes:
>> In article <475@shodha.dec.com>, alan@shodha.dec.com ( Alan's Home for
>> Wayward Notes File.) writes:
>> >	The last version of ULTRIX to support the MicroVAX I
>> >	was the ULTRIX-32m V1.2.  We are now at V3.1.
>> Nope.... you lose. I would have hoped that someone from DEC would have
>> gotten this one right!!! :-)
>
>Come on, cut the guy a break!

George,

If you'll take a look in the 'Frequently Asked Questions' posting, you'll
find:

      5.  What does :-) mean?

           This is the net convention for a "smiley face".  It means that
           something is being said in jest.  If it doesn't look like a smiley
           face to you, flop your head over to the left and look again.

I was, indeed, making the statement 'in jest'. I apologize if it was taken
in the wrong light. No offence was meant.

>The last Ultrix-32m SPD I can find is for
>Ultrix-32 1.2A, and the Ultrix 2.0 SPD doesn't say anything about either
>the MicroVAX I or II.  I'm not sure exactly which 2.x release officially
>introduced support for the Microvax II into the mainstream release...

Support for the Microvax II was introduced waaaaaay back with (I think)
Ultrix 1.1 (or earlier?). We definately had some Microvax IIs running
that release. I thought I remembered seeing in the Ultrix 2.0 SPD that
it was the last official release that supported the Microvax I. In any
case, I *do* remember upgrading our Microvax I to the latest supported
release, and it's now running 2.0, so unless someone went behind my back
and fiddled with it (not terribly likely!) or unless I read something
wrong (much more likely, but I think I'm still right), release 2.0 is
what Todd wants.

Someone did mention that they were running a later release (2.2?), though
unsupported. I imagine that this would work fine. We couldn't do that with
ours, due to disk limitations (anyone remember the RD52!).

alan@shodha.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) (11/16/89)

In article <1891@eric.mpr.ca>, parker@zaphod.Berkeley.EDU (Ross Parker) writes:
> In article <8570@cbmvax.UUCP>,  grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
> >In article <1887@eric.mpr.ca> parker@zaphod.mpr.ca (Ross Parker) writes:
> >> In article <475@shodha.dec.com>, alan@shodha.dec.com ( Alan's Home for

	[ Lot of comments and speculation about the MicroVAX I
	  being SUPPORTED on which version of ULTRIX. ]

	I have in front of me the Software Product Description
	for ULTRIX-32 Operating System, Version 2.0 SPD 26.40.07.

	The only place the MicroVAX I is mentioned is on page
	19 where the key to media types for the user upgrades
	are listed:

		H3 =  MicroVAX I, 8200/8250, 8300/8350, 8550,
		      8700/8800.

	Since it isn't listed in the tables of supported devices,
	it must not be supported by that version.  It may still
	work, but we no longer support it.  You might even be able
	to bring up the DECnet-Internet Gateway software on it,
	but we can't guarantee that it will work.

--
Alan Rollow				alan@nabeth.enet.dec.com

parker@zaphod.Berkeley.EDU (Ross Parker) (11/17/89)

Parker) writes:

> 	[ Lot of comments and speculation about the MicroVAX I
> 	  being SUPPORTED on which version of ULTRIX. ]
>
> 	I have in front of me the Software Product Description
> 	for ULTRIX-32 Operating System, Version 2.0 SPD 26.40.07.
>
> 	The only place the MicroVAX I is mentioned is on page
> 	19 where the key to media types for the user upgrades
> 	are listed:
>
> 		H3 =  MicroVAX I, 8200/8250, 8300/8350, 8550,
> 		      8700/8800.
>
> 	Since it isn't listed in the tables of supported devices,
> 	it must not be supported by that version.  It may still
> 	work, but we no longer support it.  You might even be able
> 	to bring up the DECnet-Internet Gateway software on it,
> 	but we can't guarantee that it will work.

To flog an already *very* dead horse, I looked around after seeing this
to see if I could find where I'd gotten the idea that 2.0 was the last
release.

Sure enough, I found the Ultrix 2.0 release notes (#AA-BG57D-TE).
Looking at page 1-3 (summary of features), it states:

        ULTRIX-32 Version 2.0 is the last release that supports the
        MicroVAX I configuration.  In the next release of ULTRIX-32, the
        kernel and device driver for this processor will be moved to the
        unsupported software subset.

I hope we can put this subject to rest... I realize that I made the majority
of postings on this subject (apologies for 'wasting' bandwidth...), but I
was pretty certain I was correct. I should have looked for the release notes
earlier... however, please don't slam someone for 'speculating' when
you yourself are doing the same thing.

One possibility though (you DEC guys out there might know this) - are there
any differences in releases for Canada versus US releases?