[comp.unix.ultrix] Problems with exabyte

como@max.bnl.gov (Andrew T. Como) (11/18/89)

	I am having problems trying to get /etc/dump to work on
an 8mm.  The problem I am facing is getting the right combination
of blocking size and density to work correctly in order to
restore what I have dumped.

	I am using the tmscp drivers on "/dev/rmt1h". Can anyone
lend a hand and get me off the ground.  If I use the default
values it writes the exabyte as a 6250 tape and I loose the purpose
of the 8mm.

	On our Sun4.os I can use the following but doesn't
seems to work on Ultrix 3.1

dump 0ubsdf 50 6000 54000 /dev/rst1 /

	Thanks again

		como@bnl.gov
BITNET:		como@bnl.BITNET
UUCP:		....philabs!sbcs!bnl!como

hurf@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Hurf Sheldon) (11/22/89)

/etc/dump "$LEVEL"usdf 4800 6666 /dev/nrmt1h /usr/users

 the '4800' is big enough for us to get the /usr/users partition in - at
 6666 the dump program figures about 75mb per 1200ft so you can calculate
 accordingly (that it does this is new with 3.0 and designed to avoid
 the tk-50 having a file spread over a tape boundary because it
 can't restore one that is) I suppose you could use -d 10000 (the tk-70)
 but most exabyte implementations mimic a tk50. I am not sure but
 I believe the density might be moot as it doesn't seem to make
 a difference in speed or tape length. - Just used to calculate when
 to call for a new tape.

hurf
--
     Hurf Sheldon			 Network: hurf@ionvax.tn.cornell.edu
     Lab of Plasma Studies		  Bitnet: hurf@CRNLION

phil@dgbt.uucp (Phil Blanchfield DGBT/DIP) (11/25/89)

In article <9337@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> hurf@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Hurf Sheldon) writes:

>/etc/dump "$LEVEL"usdf 4800 6666 /dev/nrmt1h /usr/users
>
> the '4800' is big enough for us to get the /usr/users partition in - at
> 6666 the dump program figures about 75mb per 1200ft so you can calculate
> accordingly (that it does this is new with 3.0 and designed to avoid
> the tk-50 having a file spread over a tape boundary because it
> can't restore one that is) I suppose you could use -d 10000 (the tk-70)
> but most exabyte implementations mimic a tk50. I am not sure but
> I believe the density might be moot as it doesn't seem to make
> a difference in speed or tape length. - Just used to calculate when
> to call for a new tape.

Does anyone know why the TK50 can't restore a file which is spread
across two tapes? Has this been fixed in V3.1 or is this a hardware
problem?

We have an Exabyte here connected to a TD Systems UDT controller and
I just tell dump that there is 30000 feet of tape with the "s" (size)
option. Dump assumes that my density is 6670 bpi and that the drive is
a TU81, therefore since you can get 140Megs onto a 2400ft reel and 2Gigs
onto a 8mm I used (2000/140 * 2400) for the ball park figure of 30000.
I back up 2 RA81's and an RA82 (6 partitions) all onto the same tape by
using the "non rewinding" special files for all but the last dump.
The drives are 75-80% full and the entire backup takes 2.5 hours.
Soon we will be getting another RA82 and then I will have to use more than
one tape.

I also back up a SUN onto the same drive using rdump. Rdump on the SUN
assumes a 1600 BPI tape so I use 120000 for the size.

As I understand it the "real" density is controlled by the special device
that you use.
/dev/rmt0h = HIGH (6250)
/dev/rmt0m = MEDIUM (if your tape has medium)
/dev/rmt0l = LOW (1600)
More on this in mtio(4).

A suggestion:
My backup script creates a "date file" on the root partition prior to
dumping it using:
DATE_FILE=`date +%d-%h-%y`
cat $DATE_FILE >/ </dev/null
This file is removed at the end of the "full" backup.
The root partition is always the first to be dumped to the tape.
This way you can verify the date of a backup by loading the first tape in
the set and typing "restore -i" followed by "ls".

Any suggestions? Critique?
--
Phil Blanchfield    phil@dgbt.crc.dnd.ca  | The Communications Research Centre
UUCP: ...utzoo!bnr-vpa!bnr-rsc!dgbt!phil  | 3701 Carling Avenue, Ottawa CANADA

chris@wugate.wustl.edu (Chris Myers) (11/27/89)

In article <1289@dgbt.uucp> phil@dgbt.crc.dnd.ca (Phil Blanchfield DGBT/DIP) writes:
>In article <9337@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> hurf@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Hurf Sheldon) writes:
>>
>>/etc/dump "$LEVEL"usdf 4800 6666 /dev/nrmt1h /usr/users
>>
>> the '4800' is big enough for us to get the /usr/users partition in - at
>> 6666 the dump program figures about 75mb per 1200ft so you can calculate
>> accordingly (that it does this is new with 3.0 and designed to avoid
>> the tk-50 having a file spread over a tape boundary because it
>> can't restore one that is) I suppose you could use -d 10000 (the tk-70)
>> but most exabyte implementations mimic a tk50. I am not sure but
>> I believe the density might be moot as it doesn't seem to make
>> a difference in speed or tape length. - Just used to calculate when
>> to call for a new tape.

From the manual I got with my Exabyte:

dump ${level}usdf 6000 54000 /dev/nrmt0h /partition

I have used these parameters to dump 560MB partitions to my Exabyte.  The
density and tape length parameters aren't used by dump for anything other
than calculating the amount of data that can be written to a single tape,
so all you have to do is pick numbers that won't cause a numeric overflow
(which can happen in older 'dump's).

>Does anyone know why the TK50 can't restore a file which is spread
>across two tapes? Has this been fixed in V3.1 or is this a hardware
>problem?

There is a bug in the Ultrix 3.x TAR program that prevents a multi-volume
tar file from being restored from a SCSI drive.  Call your DEC Serviceperson
and ask for a copy of the Ultrix 3.1 patch tape -- it has a fixed copy of
tar.
--
Chris Myers                                    Internet: chris@wugate.wustl.edu
Software Engineer                                  UUCP: ...!uunet!wugate!chris