[net.micro] Amiga vs ST520

bds@mtgzz.UUCP (b.d.szablak) (08/02/85)

> I hate to dampen the Amiga fire, but the Amiga is a doomed machine.
> How can I say this before 1 Amiga is sold?  Simple, this is history
> repeating it self, all over again.  Remember the Comodore C-64 and
> the Atari 800?  It was obvious to anybody, who seriously looked at
> BOTH machines, that the 800 was a better computer.  But the Atari
> cost twice as much.  Guess which one, really sold.

I guess IBM, Apple, AT&T and the rest should either produce $100
computers or get out of the market place... Come to think of it,
how will the ST520 succeed with the 800 out there?

Seriously, there is a simple counter-example in TI and Timex both of
whom undercut Atari and Commodore, but are no longer with us
How do you explain that?

Both the 520ST and the Amiga appeal to various market niches, and
I suspect that both will capture portions of each niche. The higher
price (and probable profit margin) for the Amiga should mean it will
require a smaller portion to remain viable while the ST520 will need
a larger share. If the ST520 cannot get this share IT may go the way
of TI and TIMEX.

Actually, I don't expect (and really hope) either computer to go belly
up, at least not until the next generation of personal computers comes
along. Even then, I expect that each model will be enhanced to remain
competitive with the new technology.

ksl@hou2e.UUCP (a hacker) (08/09/85)

>I guess IBM, Apple, AT&T and the rest should either produce $100
>computers or get out of the market place... Come to think of it,
>how will the ST520 succeed with the 800 out there?

In one of BYTE's silly rumor columns, they said something about
IBM producing a low cost computer.  Can anyone support this?
(I doubt anyone can, but, it's worth a try...)

hou2e!ksl

indra@utai.UUCP (Indra Laksono) (08/10/85)

#! rnews    1138
From: myers@uwmacc.UUCP (Latitudinarian Lobster)