[comp.unix.ultrix] disk transfer error

cathy@larry.sal.wisc.edu (Cathy Accettura) (12/05/89)

Last week I was doing a dump and I got this error

DUMP: (this should not happen) bread from /dev/rra1c [block 151984] :
      count = 6144, got -1

I am running Ultrix 3.0 and have a MicroVaxII.  The disk that is
causing me problems is a Fujitsui Eagle.

Is there anyway I can use badsect or bad144 to get around this problem
without format the disk.  I thought that badsect was my best bet but
I could not figure out how block and sector related to each other.

The uerf program does show something but no sector number
---- UNIT INFORMATION ----
UNIT CLASS			DSA DISK
UNIT TYPE			RA81
CONTROLLER NO.		      17.
UNIT NO.		      0.
ERROR SYNDROME			DISK TRANSFER ERROR

Should I give up and reformat or is there a way to write the bad sector
into a file.

cat
cathy@larry.sal.wisc.edu
Space Astronomy Lab-University of Wisconsin.

alan@shodha.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) (12/06/89)

In article <781@larry.sal.wisc.edu>, cathy@larry.sal.wisc.edu (Cathy Accettura) writes:
> Last week I was doing a dump and I got this error
>
> DUMP: (this should not happen) bread from /dev/rra1c [block 151984] :
>       count = 6144, got -1
>
> I am running Ultrix 3.0 and have a MicroVaxII.  The disk that is
> causing me problems is a Fujitsui Eagle.
>
> Is there anyway I can use badsect or bad144 to get around this problem
> without format the disk.  I thought that badsect was my best bet but
> I could not figure out how block and sector related to each other.

	That fact the disk is called "ra" suggests you have it
	on a DSA controller or a controller that makes ULTRIX
	think it is a DSA controller.  In this case badsect and
	bad144 aren't applicatable, ULTRIX should be doing BBR
	to replace the block.  Read the documentation on radisk(8).
	If it was a bad block then probably got replaced and has
	been marked with "Forced Error", which basically means
	ULTRIX couldn't get a good copy of the data to write on
	the new block.

> The uerf program does show something but no sector number
> ---- UNIT INFORMATION ----
> UNIT CLASS			DSA DISK
> UNIT TYPE			RA81
> CONTROLLER NO.		      17.
> UNIT NO.		      0.
> ERROR SYNDROME			DISK TRANSFER ERROR

	You may be able to get more information if you use the
	"-o full" option on uerf(8).  It may depend on how much
	the Eagle really looks like an RA81.

> Should I give up and reformat or is there a way to write the bad sector
> into a file.

	Doing a scan with radisk(8) will reveal where the forced
	error is if there is one.  You can then use radisk(8) to
	clear the error and start tracking down the file the block
	belongs to.

	When running radisk(8) the system has be running single
	user and all the file systems possible should be unmounted.

--
Alan Rollow				alan@nabeth.enet.dec.com