[comp.unix.ultrix] DECnet Mail

marsh@umt.UUCP (Paul Marsh) (12/01/89)

I am trying to get incomming mail to work on a VAX 785 running ULTRIX V3.1.
Outgoing mail to VMS and other ULTRIX hosts works fine, but I can't get
anything to come in.  Any clues would be helpful.

In sending mail to this host from VMS, I get the following error messages.

	%MAIL-E-LOGLINK, error creating network link to node umt
	-SYSTEM-F-CONNECFAIL, connect to network object time-out or failed

Sending mail from the Ultrix workstation, yields no immediate error, nor
will it send the mail to the Ultrix V3.1 host.  After 3 days the mail is
returned with an error saying it couldn't be delivered.   Reason:

	mail11: connect to umt failed, Argument too large

Attempting to send mail from an Ultrix workstation running Ultrix V2.2,
/usr/spool/mmqueue/syslog   contians the following.

Nov 30 14:21:20 localhost: 1143 sendmail: AA01143: message-id=
   <8911302121.AA01143@umt99.local>
Nov 30 14:21:20 localhost: 1143 sendmail: AA01143: from=root, size=33, class=0
Nov 30 14:21:23 localhost: 1146 sendmail: AA01143: to=umt::root,
   delay=00:00:04, stat=Deferred

The mailq command verifies that the mail wasn't sent.

# /usr/ucb/mailq
		Mail Queue (1 request)
--QID-- --Size-- -----Q-Time----- ------------Sender/Recipient------------
AA01143        6 Thu Nov 29 14:21 root
				  (Deferred)
				  umt::root

Lastly, running sendmail manually, the same results as seen before.

# /usr/lib/sendmail -qv
mail11: connect to umt failed, Argument too large

Does anyone know the meaning of this error?
--
UUCP :	... ! {apple,ucdavis} ! umt ! marsh
US Mail :	Paul Marsh,	University of Montana, Computer Center

michaud@decvax.dec.com (Jeff Michaud) (12/01/89)

> I am trying to get incomming mail to work on a VAX 785 running ULTRIX V3.1.
> Outgoing mail to VMS and other ULTRIX hosts works fine, but I can't get
> anything to come in.  Any clues would be helpful.
>
> In sending mail to this host from VMS, I get the following error messages.
>
> 	%MAIL-E-LOGLINK, error creating network link to node umt
> 	-SYSTEM-F-CONNECFAIL, connect to network object time-out or failed

	Trying raising syslog's logging levl to 9 (ie. LOG_DEBUG) by editing
	/etc/syslog.conf and then either restarting syslog or sending it a
	hangup signal (ie. kill -HUP `cat /etc/syslog.pid`).

	Then send some more mail and take a look in syslog for any messages
	(actually you should probably check to see if there are any messages
	that mail11dv3 may of logged already at level 8).

	The problem could be as simple as /tmp and/or /usr/tmp having the wrong
	permissions set on them.

/--------------------------------------------------------------\
|Jeff Michaud    michaud@decwrl.dec.com  michaud@decvax.dec.com|
|DECnet-ULTRIX   #include <standard/disclaimer.h>              |
\--------------------------------------------------------------/

avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) (12/01/89)

I'll go further than brother Jeff Michaud...  I believe that there is a
very very good chance that /usr/tmp is protected wrong.

Why?  Seem the same error and that was the problem...  You know...
Argument too large :-)  (Don't ask me why that is the error message!
Jeff needs to explain that! :-) )

Fred

marsh@umt.UUCP (Paul Marsh) (12/02/89)

In article <6490@shlump.nac.dec.com>, michaud@decvax.dec.com (Jeff Michaud) writes:
> 	The problem could be as simple as /tmp and/or /usr/tmp having the wrong
> 	permissions set on them.

agghhh!  Bit again.  My cute crontab cleanup command, does more than clean up
old files.   (find /usr/tmp -mtime +1 -a -exec rm -r -f {} \;)   It sometimes
cleans up the directory too.  This shouldn't be too difficult to fix.  Many
thanks Jeff (and Fred), things work much better now.
--
UUCP :	... ! {apple,ucdavis} ! umt ! marsh
US Mail :	Paul Marsh,	University of Montana, Computer Center
	    			Missoula, MT	59812
phone :				(406) 243-5455

Dratted mail; bounced like Morganna...

In article <804@umt.UUCP> marsh@umt.UUCP (Paul Marsh) writes:
>In article <6490@shlump.nac.dec.com>, michaud@decvax.dec.com (Jeff Michaud) writes:
>> 	The problem could be as simple as /tmp and/or /usr/tmp having the wrong
>> 	permissions set on them.
>
>agghhh!  Bit again.  My cute crontab cleanup command, does more than clean up
>old files.   (find /usr/tmp -mtime +1 -a -exec rm -r -f {} \;)   It sometimes
>cleans up the directory too.  This shouldn't be too difficult to fix.  Many
>thanks Jeff (and Fred), things work much better now.

Try adding the flag '-type f', or even '-a \( -type f -o -type l \)'
to the find(1) you show above.  RTFM for what it means.

				--Blair
				  "All things considered, I'd
				   rather see Morganna bounce."