[comp.unix.ultrix] DS3100: restriction on no. of TTYs per LAT service

jmg@cernvax.UUCP (john gerard) (11/24/89)

We are trying to run a LAT service through a DS3100 on a lot of ttys.
We have configured 64 ttys with MAKEDEV, and we use ttys from tty04
for a lat/telnet service (actually a lat/tn3270 service). So far, so good.

If we configure too many of these ttys in the /etc/ttys file then at
some time the system goes bananas. Shells get continuously created and
destroyed (the lat/telnet service program calls in a shell script),
zombies abound, the CPU is 100% busy etc. etc.

Currently all is fine with ttys from tty04 to tty40 inclusive. However,
if I add another 10 or so in /etc/ttys then the bananas reappear.
Maybe it is the configuration, but I don't think so: we reconfigured
with higher limits today but the problem is just the same.

I recall that some time ago someone talked about limitations on the number
of ttys per each multiple LAT service. This was referring (I think) to
Ultrix 3.0: we have now Ultrix 3.1 and also a set of patches (not yet
applied, because we are not sure whether they would help or hinder) but
we cannot see any relevant information. Also, the previous posting (from
George Robbins) did not specify a numerical limit.

Has anyone an update, or (even better) a fix for this problem?

Mike Gerard

ps. Does anyone else note that when a DECterm VT300 window starts up with
a host status line enabled this line cannot be used? We have to disable it
then re-enable it. Applies also to VMS DECwindows.
--
 _ _  o |             __                    |    jmg@cernvax.uucp

neil@cpd.com (Neil Gorsuch) (11/25/89)

In article <1152@cernvax.UUCP> jmg@cernvax.UUCP (john gerard) writes:
>We are trying to run a LAT service through a DS3100 on a lot of ttys.
>We have configured 64 ttys with MAKEDEV, and we use ttys from tty04
>for a lat/telnet service (actually a lat/tn3270 service). So far, so good.
>If we configure too many of these ttys in the /etc/ttys file then at
>some time the system goes bananas. Shells get continuously created and
>destroyed (the lat/telnet service program calls in a shell script),
>zombies abound, the CPU is 100% busy etc. etc.
>I recall that some time ago someone talked about limitations on the number
>of ttys per each multiple LAT service.

If the problem is something in the LAT software, a possible solution
is to use our SCSI serial/parallel servers.  From what I have been
told of LATs (we don't have any to compare against), they have higher
performance.  And they certainly cost a lot less than LATs and relieve
a lot of ethernet load.  Plus you get a Centronics parallel port for
each 8 serial ports.

--
Neil Gorsuch        INTERNET: neil@cpd.com          UUCP: uunet!zardoz!neil
MAIL: 1209 E. Warner, Santa Ana, CA, USA, 92705     PHONE: +1 714 546 1100

jmg@cernvax.UUCP (john gerard) (11/27/89)

In article <1989Nov25.015814.26839@cpd.com> neil@uninet.UUCP (Neil Gorsuch) writes:
>>We are trying to run a LAT service through a DS3100 on a lot of ttys.
>>We have configured 64 ttys with MAKEDEV, and we use ttys from tty04
>>for a lat/telnet service (actually a lat/tn3270 service). So far, so good.
>>If we configure too many of these ttys in the /etc/ttys file then at
>>some time the system goes bananas. Shells get continuously created and
>>destroyed (the lat/telnet service program calls in a shell script),
>>zombies abound, the CPU is 100% busy etc. etc.
>>I recall that some time ago someone talked about limitations on the number
>>of ttys per each multiple LAT service.
>
>If the problem is something in the LAT software, a possible solution
>is to use our SCSI serial/parallel servers.  From what I have been
>told of LATs (we don't have any to compare against), they have higher
>performance.  And they certainly cost a lot less than LATs and relieve
>a lot of ethernet load.  Plus you get a Centronics parallel port for
>each 8 serial ports.

Unless I have misunderstood, this solution sounds like asking me to buy
some extra equipment in order to get around a software bug.
However, I don't really understand it. We have lots of people who already
have their terminals on DECservers and who want one of their sessions to
go to an IBM. This is currently done by having a bank of reverse DECservers
with lines going into an IBM 7171 so as to get the 3270-VTxxx conversion.
I leave you to calculate the line cost of these reverse DECservers plus
cables plus 7171 ports! Where does this SCSI connection fit in?

What I want is to allow them to have a session through the DECstation,
which will do the 3270-VTxxx itself.

I can foresee a use for some kind of multiplexor to allow real physical
lines to hang off a DECstation (via SCSI I suppose), and would be happy
to have information on the "best" way to do this. However, it does not
solve my current problem.

Have I written a long enough follow-up such that it gets accepted?

I sure hope so.
--
 _ _  o |             __                    |    jmg@cernvax.uucp
| | |   |     _      /  \  _   __  _   __  _|    jmg@cernvax.bitnet
| | |_|_| \_/\___    \__/ \___|   (_|_|   \_|_ 1211 Geneva 23, Switzerland

jmg@cernvax.UUCP (john gerard) (12/11/89)

Mea culpa. There may be some restriction on the number of ttys per LAT
service, but that was not my problem (which was an error in setting up
the lta devices with MAKEDEV).
--
 _ _  o |             __                    |    jmg@cernvax.uucp