[comp.unix.ultrix] Electronic SPR submissoin

steved@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu (Steve Dempsey) (12/12/89)

In article <1311@gvgpsa.GVG.TEK.COM>, davew@gvgpsa.GVG.TEK.COM (David C.
White) writes:
> In article <1399@crltrx.crl.dec.com> jg@max.crl.dec.com (Jim Gettys) writes:
> > As these can be sent in electronically these days, (if you don't
> >require formal response), I don't think this is too very much to ask...
>
> About those electronic submittals, here is a response I received after
> trying one using the address and form that was posted in this group a
> few months ago.  BTW, I sent the SPR on 8 Sept.  I'm wondering what
> took them so long to tell me that SPRs via email would not be
> accepted.  Has anyone else tried this with any success?

[ returned SPR stuff deleted]

I submitted three SPR's to spradmin@icarus.enet.dec.com with these results:

  sent Aug 21 '89      acknowledged Aug 28
  sent Aug 22 '89      acknowledged Sep 12
                       acknowledged again Oct 2 with different log number!
  sent Oct 30 '89      returned Nov 17 with same note as above poster.

I think the guys who were handling the internet submissions got swamped
and/or fed up, and the project was scrapped.  The multiple ack's indicate
that maybe things were falling apart.

The other electronic method is through DSIN.  DSIN requires an access
number (account) and password (obtained from your local DEC rep.) and
is usually accessed through TYMNET (dial-in, local call).  The user
interface to DSIN of course works best using DEC equipment (VTxxx terminals),
and leaves something to be desired for editing or uploading prepared SPR's.

Response to SPR/problem submissions has been mixed.  One time it took
10 days before I got a call back; another time I was called back the
same day.  I guess it depends on the problem and who's busy at the time.

And there are some other interesting things on DSIN, including lots of
descriptions and solutions for various sofware and hardware problems
encountered by other customers.  For the experienced sysadmin, there
is little of interest.  For the newcomer, it's chock full of little
bits of information that can make one's job easier.

> Dave White	Grass Valley Group, Inc.   VOICE: +1 916.478.3052
> P.O. Box 1114  	Grass Valley, CA  95945    FAX: +1 916.478.3887
> Domain: davew@gvgpsa.gvg.tek.com     UUCP:  ...!tektronix!gvgpsa!davew

        Steve Dempsey,  Center for Computer Assisted Engineering
  Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO  80523    +1 303 491 0630
INET: steved@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu, dempsey@handel.CS.ColoState.Edu
UUCP: boulder!ccncsu!longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu!steved, ...!ncar!handel!dempsey