[comp.unix.ultrix] /etc/exports file records

wallis@wsucsa.uucp (12/05/89)

        Dear Netlanders:

        Does anyone know the line length limit of a line in the /etc/exports
file?  We are using NSF and I export directories to several workstations
(ULTRIX 3.1 on VAXstation 3100s).  Now that the workstations are using BIND,
the exports file "wants" the fully-qualified name of the workstation (ie.
xxxx.yyyy.zzzz.EDU, or something like that). Some of these names are very long
and I am worried about running into length restrictions when more workstations
are added to the exports file.

        Any suggestions are appreciated.

        Thanks in advance,

        Tom Wallis
Thomas Wallis                          BITNET: WALLIS@TWSUVAX
System Manager, Computer Science Dept. INTERNET: wallis@wsucsa.wsu.UKans.EDU
Wichita State University               UUCP: uunet!ncrlnk!ncrwic!wsucsa!wallis
Wichita, Ks.  67208

DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not reflect the
views of the Computer Science Department or Wichita State University.

In article <8066@wsucsa.uucp> wallis@wsucsa.uucp writes:

>         Does anyone know the line length limit of a line in the /etc/exports
> file?  We are using NSF and I export directories to several workstations
> (ULTRIX 3.1 on VAXstation 3100s).  Now that the workstations are using BIND,
> the exports file "wants" the fully-qualified name of the workstation (ie.
> xxxx.yyyy.zzzz.EDU, or something like that). Some of these names are very long
> and I am worried about running into length restrictions when more workstations
> are added to the exports file.

You should (theoretically) be able to use "netgroups" in the exports file
to abbreviate the entries in the exports file...

saus@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Mark Sausville) (12/07/89)

   From: grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins)
   Newsgroups: comp.unix.ultrix
   Date: 6 Dec 89 17:14:49 GMT

   In article <8066@wsucsa.uucp> wallis@wsucsa.uucp writes:

   >         Does anyone know the line length limit of a line in the /etc/exports

   You should (theoretically) be able to use "netgroups" in the exports file
   to abbreviate the entries in the exports file...

Is this true?  I haven't heard this before, but I haven't scanned every
release note extant.  I was planning to hack the source to do this but
won't if it's already there.

Could George (or DEC) elaborate please?

						Mark.

Mark Sausville                           MIT Media Laboratory
Computer Systems Administrator           Room E15-354
617-253-0325                             20 Ames Street
saus@media-lab.media.mit.edu             Cambridge, MA 02139

In article <SAUS.89Dec6213757@media-lab.media.mit.edu> saus@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Mark Sausville) writes:

>    You should (theoretically) be able to use "netgroups" in the exports file
>    to abbreviate the entries in the exports file...
>
> Is this true?  I haven't heard this before, but I haven't scanned every
> release note extant.  I was planning to hack the source to do this but
> won't if it's already there.

The use of netgroups in the exports file is mentioned in the exports man
page.  Netgroups are a part of Yellow Pages so that would probably be the
place to look for setup information.  I don't know if you you can get it
to use netgroups without running (yeech) YP.

treese@crltrx.crl.dec.com (Win Treese) (12/10/89)

In article <8875@cbmvax.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:

>The use of netgroups in the exports file is mentioned in the exports man
>page.  Netgroups are a part of Yellow Pages so that would probably be the
>place to look for setup information.  I don't know if you you can get it
>to use netgroups without running (yeech) YP.

You need to use YP.

However, to answer the original question:

From a quick glance at the code, the line limit appears to be 2048 on
VAX Ultrix 3.1.  Empirically, we're running about 25 PMAXen here with
a 600-char line with no problems.

Win Treese						Cambridge Research Lab
treese@crl.dec.com					Digital Equipment Corp.

aej@wpi.wpi.edu (Allan E Johannesen) (12/15/89)

treese> In article <8875@cbmvax.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:

>The use of netgroups in the exports file is mentioned in the exports man
>page.  Netgroups are a part of Yellow Pages so that would probably be the
>place to look for setup information.  I don't know if you you can get it
>to use netgroups without running (yeech) YP.

treese> You need to use YP.

False (at least on the machines here (DECstation3100's, Encore)).  It
can't hurt to try the /etc/netgroups approach before setting up YP.
It's trivial to try it, anyway.  Maybe there are some machines that
require YP for this to work, but a test should only take a minute.