[comp.unix.ultrix] DECstation bootable off RZ5x

doug@tci.bell-atl.com (Doug Mildram) (12/15/89)

I'm interested in buying a 650meg single or 2-pack for our DECsystem server
(DECsystem 3100 is no more than a graphics-less DECstation 3100, correct?)

The server supports DECstation 3100's and 2100's.

The salesmen believe the RZ56 (650 meg guts of RZ5x-DA, RZ5x-FA boxes)
is NOT SUPPORTED as a boot device -- is this a real barrier or
something easily overcome?

I can opt to keep a 300meg disk as root if that's preferable.
Then all client roots would have to fit on 300meg as well...

thanks...
--
Doug Mildram 	  Technology Concepts Inc.
40 Tall Pine Dr.  uucp:	{anywhere}!uunet!tci!doug, doug@tci.bell-atl.com

avolio@decuac.DEC.COM (Frederick M. Avolio) (12/16/89)

In article <486@tci.bell-atl.com>, doug@tci.bell-atl.com (Doug Mildram) writes:

> I'm interested in buying a 650meg single or 2-pack for our DECsystem server
> (DECsystem 3100 is no more than a graphics-less DECstation 3100, correct?)

RIGHTEO.

> The server supports DECstation 3100's and 2100's.
>
> The salesmen believe the RZ56 (650 meg guts of RZ5x-DA, RZ5x-FA boxes)
> is NOT SUPPORTED as a boot device -- is this a real barrier or
> something easily overcome?

Not "supported" (not quotes) because ULTRIX V3.1 came out BEFORE
the RZ56 did.  There is a workaround.  Easy one...  Your sales rep should
check things out with his/her ULTRIX support.  Go ahead and order it.

Fred
(speaking not for dec officially, but what the heck that won't save
me if I get in trouble :-))