[comp.unix.ultrix] Ultrix 3.1 LAT problems?

icsu6000@caesar.cs.montana.edu (Jaye Mathisen) (12/17/89)

We're going to make the leap from Ultrix 3.0 to 3.1 later this week.  As I
understand it, there are some problems with LAT.  Can somebody give me
a run-down on what the problems are, and does DEC have a patchtape?

Also, does UWS 2.2 (Display postscript stuff) get installed under 3.1?
| Jaye Mathisen,systems manager       Internet: icsu6000@caesar.cs.montana.edu|
| 410 Roberts Hall                      BITNET: icsu6000@mtsunix1.bitnet      |
| Dept. of Computer Science	                                              |

In article <2830@caesar.cs.montana.edu> icsu6000@caesar.cs.montana.edu (Jaye Mathisen) writes:

> We're going to make the leap from Ultrix 3.0 to 3.1 later this week.  As I
> understand it, there are some problems with LAT.  Can somebody give me
> a run-down on what the problems are, and does DEC have a patchtape?

Ultrix 3.1 has an assortment of "minor" LAT problems.  The one that caused
me the most grief is that that when programs issue a stty call to enter
"raw" mode, the LAT software fails to automatically switch the server
connection into "pass all" mode.  This is cause problems if you are trying
to use binary protcols over a LAT connection (like uucp, x-modem, etc) or
if you use something like gnu-emacs where you don't want control/s to be
interpreted by the server.

There is apparently a patch tape, however I had problems with patches I
received from CSC and another site recently reported very similar problems
here.

I'm afraid this isn't too helpful.  Personally, I don't think that either
3.0 or 3.1 are very mature releases compared to something like 2.2.  I'd
hope that DEC releases a 3.2, but I'm not very optimistic.  DEC seems to
have a real attitude problem when it comes to fixing bugs the show up
after the software has passed all their internal testing...