[comp.unix.ultrix] Meaning of aie / aio / bvpssp in config file?

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (12/27/89)

I'm upgrading a VAX to Ultrix 3.1 (from 1.2, no less) and discover
that the config file format has changed somewhat.  Most of it seems
clear enough from the configuration file maintenance guide and the man(4)
pages, but not everything.  Specifically, I find these two entries confusing:

For a tu81 tape drive, the entry seems to be something like this:

controller	klesib0 at vaxbi0 node 0
controller	uq0 at klesib0		vector uqintr
tape		tms0 at uq0 drive 0
controller	aie0 at vaxbi? node?
controller	bvpssp0 at aie0		vector bvpsspintr
tape		tms0 at bvpssp0 drive 0

For ra disk drives, the entry seems to be something like this:

controller	kdb0 at vaxbi0 node?
controller	uq0 at kdb0		vector uqintr
disk		ra0 at uq0 drive 0
disk		ra1 at uq0 drive 1
controller	aio1 at vaxbi? node?
controller	bvpssp0 at aio1		vector bvpsspintr
disk		ra0 at bvpssp0 drive 0

(Yes, I know that the same uq number can't be used for both.)

What are the aie, aio and bvpssp things?  I don't seen any explanation
of these in the documentation.  Am I just looking in the wrong place?

Are those parts of the entries >even necessary<?

Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

alan@shodha.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) (12/27/89)

In article <1363@uakari.primate.wisc.edu>, bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) writes:

> I'm upgrading a VAX to Ultrix 3.1 (from 1.2, no less) and discover
> that the config file format has changed somewhat.  Most of it seems
> clear enough from the configuration file maintenance guide and the man(4)
> pages, but not everything.  Specifically, I find these two entries confusing:

> For a tu81 tape drive, the entry seems to be something like this:
>
> controller	klesib0 at vaxbi0 node 0
> controller	uq0 at klesib0		vector uqintr
> tape		tms0 at uq0 drive 0

	This is the normal entry for the KLESI-B, the native
	VAXBI controller for the TU81.  As long as you only
	have one "drive 0" tape, you can replace "uq0" with
	"mscp".

> controller	aie0 at vaxbi? node?
> controller	bvpssp0 at aie0		vector bvpsspintr
> tape		tms0 at bvpssp0 drive 0

	The AIE is a VAXBI module with the capability of supporting
	both Ethernet and a TK50.  Generally you see it supporting
	only one.  The "aie" is the base module.  I don't remember
	what the "bvp" part stands but there are two.

		bvpssp - BVP Storage Systems Port - (tape controller)
		bvpni  - BVP Network Interconnect - (Ethernet)

	The real module names for the AIE varients are:

		DEBNT
		DEBNK
		DEBNA
		DEBNI

	As far as I know the the xxxNK was the only one to support
	the TK50.

> For ra disk drives, the entry seems to be something like this:
>
> controller	kdb0 at vaxbi0 node?
> controller	uq0 at kdb0		vector uqintr
> disk		ra0 at uq0 drive 0

	This is the normal entry for a KDB50.  As long as you
	only have one "drive 0" disk in the system you can
	replace the "uq0" with "mscp".

> disk		ra1 at uq0 drive 1
> controller	aio1 at vaxbi? node?
> controller	bvpssp0 at aio1		vector bvpsspintr
> disk		ra0 at bvpssp0 drive 0

	The AIO is a VAXBI controller for the RD54.  As far
	as I know it is only used in the VAXstation 8000.

> (Yes, I know that the same uq number can't be used for both.)
>
> What are the aie, aio and bvpssp things?  I don't seen any explanation
> of these in the documentation.  Am I just looking in the wrong place?

	I don't remember what AIE, AIO and BVP stand for.  As mentioned
	earlier SSP is Storage Systems Port.  You might find something
	if go searching through to some of the system include files.
	I'd suggest the /usr/include/vaxsysap and /usr/include/sys/errlog.h
	as places to start.  They might have buried in them somewhere
	the true names of those acronyms.

> Are those parts of the entries >even necessary<?

	If you don't have those devices, then you don't need
	entries for them in the configuration file.  I'm
	guessing that you have a VAX 82xx or 83xx.

--
Alan Rollow				alan@nabeth.enet.dec.com

In article <1363@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) writes:

> I'm upgrading a VAX to Ultrix 3.1 (from 1.2, no less) and discover
> that the config file format has changed somewhat.  Most of it seems
> clear enough from the configuration file maintenance guide and the man(4)
> pages, but not everything.  Specifically, I find these two entries confusing:
>
> (Yes, I know that the same uq number can't be used for both.)
>
> What are the aie, aio and bvpssp things?  I don't seen any explanation
> of these in the documentation.  Am I just looking in the wrong place?
>
> Are those parts of the entries >even necessary<?

1) you do understand that all those entries are for the multiplicity of
   system architectures that DEC supports?  If you do something like
   "man ra", the manual pages break down the entries as appropriate to
   each architecture.  I'd assume the hardcopy for section 4 of the manual
   is the same, though there's not much to tell you to look there.

2) About 98% of what worked in the 1.2 config file still works, though a
   few options have been added and one of two things deleted.  The only
   thing I remember getting blown out on was that the "args on xxxx" part
   of the "config" statement dissapeared.

3) I haven't the faintest idea what most of them wierd things are.  Some
   are imaginary and merely keep things structured the way that config and
   the auto-config code is set up, some reflect adapters appropriate to
   the various busses, non-busses and attempts at imcompatibilty...