[comp.unix.ultrix] 5810 installation report

Well, the my 5810 is now "installed" and seems to work.

A couple of problems/notes...

0) there's no real good overall "start-here-with-this-tape" map.  You starts
   with the tape marked "ULT-32 V3.1C (ISIS) TK50" and do the basic or advanced
   installation.  There are at least 2 read-me-first's and release notes for
   3.1C and 3.0.

1) If you let the system self-configure as part of the "basic installation",
   the software configures the console TK70 as device "tms6" in the config
   file and as /dev/*mt0? in /dev.  This can get pretty confusing when you
   go to load subsets and try to figure out "where" the tape drive is.

   If intend to have "real" tape drives on the system, it's probably best to
   delete the resulting entry for /dev/*mt0? and then MAKEDEV tms0 tms1...tms7
   so it will make some kind of sense.  Alternatively you can make entries for
   /dev/*mt70? using the appropriate major and minor numbers.

   Apparently you can also access the tape as a block device as /dev/tu1, but
   the utiltity of this is left to your imagination.

2) The software package includes distribution tapes for both Ultrix 3.0 (RISC)
   and Ultrix 3.1C, however there doesn't seem to be any point at which you
   actually use the 3.0 tape.

3) NONE of the traditional "unsupported" software is shipped, although some
   of the documnets suggest that there at least used to be a 3.x (RISC)
   unsupported products tape.

4) I ordered DECnet/Ultrix and DECserver 200, however there was a note on the
   packing slip indicating that these were "unsupported" on the 5810 and that
   they "weren't configured".  Actually, I recieved copies of the "VAX"
   versions of these items.  Supposedly DECnet Ultrix 3.0A is the the "RISC"
   version and is supposed to be "in the mail".   The DS200 stuff won't load
   since the VAX 3.x base isn't present, however you can suck it off manually
   since it's only a server image, shell script and release notes...

5) The Ultrix Workstation Stuff, which I haven't braved yet, seems to consist
   of some 9 TK's half "VAX" and half "RISC".  Seems to be a "base" and an
   "update"...

My configuration, btw is a 5810, 32M-byte, 2 DMB-32, 2 RA70's in box and
and HSC50 with (currently) a couple of RA81's and a TA78 attached thereto.
It all seems to be working, including the HSC!  Be warned that you have to
manually configure the HSC attached drives and also that they don't seem to
show up in the boot-time config printout, rather they pop-up a little bit
later.  I'm not sure if they show up as soon as the system tries to get at
them or it's just coincidence.  If the latter, then it might be a problem
since fsck's and whatnot would blow of if the drives aren't there in time.

In article <9172@cbmvax.commodore.com> grr@cbmvax.commodore.com (George Robbins) writes:
> Well, the my 5810 is now "installed" and seems to work.
>
> A couple of problems/notes...
>
> 0) there's no real good overall "start-here-with-this-tape" map...
> 1) If you let the system self-configure...
> 2) The software package includes distribution tapes for bot...
> 3) NONE of the traditional "unsupported" software is shipped...
> 4) I ordered DECnet/Ultrix and DECserver 200, however...
> 5) The Ultrix Workstation Stuff, which I haven't braved yet...

Well, it's a couple days later (what holidays?)

6) While there isn't an obvious "Unsupported" tape with the main Ultrix
   stuff, the "UWS 2.0 UNSUPPORTED" tape appears to be the same file sets
   as it would be, so just stick it in and do a setld -i.

7) There doesn't seem to be a coyp of the "Ultrix Worksystem 2.1 release
   notes included, just the combined Ultrix 3.0/UWS 2.0 notes and a
   Xeroxed Ultrix 3.1C release notes.  If you happen to have received the
   3.1 Upgrade (VAX or RISC) earlier you got a copy with that.

8) None of the UWS "user oriented" manuals are included, only the the
   three thin guides to setting up diskless/RIS/workstation stuff.  If
   you want to install the UWS "development environment" and stuff so
   the 5800 can act as a "compute server" you end up feeling pretty
   insecure with no manuals.  Turns out you setld the "Supported WS"
   tape and then the "Ultrix 3.1/UWS 2.1 Upgrade" tapes.

9) Once you've loaded the above tapes (on top of the base 3.1C install)
   you find you don't have any "X" manual pages.  You either have to
   force setld to load the man pages from the VAX tapes or force it to
   reload the UDTMAN030 and UDTMAN031 loads from the "UWS 2.0 supported
   base" and "Ultrix 3.1/UWS 2.1 Upgrade" tapes, since the UWS man pages
   aren't a seperate load on the RISC UWS tapes.

At this point I've finally got a base system and get to start converting
over all the local utilities and stuff.  I'm planning on installing the
latest BSD UUCP, sendmail and bind instead of using the Ultrix stuff and
might even upgrade from News 2.10.3beta 8-).

I've only seen two real problems so far.  First I apparently mangaged to
have the system while creating a hard link to a tape device.  Don't know
if this is real or repeatable.  No other crashes or hangs...

Second, I've got a couple of DMB32's, but when I activated logins on a
couple of lines (with no cables attached yet) a later caught them running
up a bunch of CPU time.  This isn't funny, but I haven't had a chance to
try various thing and see what the system thinks it's doing.

Anybody had problems with DMB32's on VAX Ultrix?

alan@shodha.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) (01/02/90)

In article <9179@cbmvax.commodore.com>, grr@cbmvax.commodore.com (George Robbins) writes:

> [ Lots of stuff deleted. ]
>
> Second, I've got a couple of DMB32's, but when I activated logins on a
> couple of lines (with no cables attached yet) a later caught them running
> up a bunch of CPU time.  This isn't funny, but I haven't had a chance to
> try various thing and see what the system thinks it's doing.
>
> Anybody had problems with DMB32's on VAX Ultrix?

	I've seen this sort of problem of nearly every version of
	ULTRIX and combination of CPU and terminal controller since
	the beginning of time.  It goes something like this:

	1.  The getty with the line open, sees noise and thinks
	    it's someone trying to login, so it either prompts
	    for the user name or forks a login to let it do the
	    work.

	2.  Login searchs the password file for the noise and prompts
	    for a password.  Even if it doesn't find a username it
	    asks for a password so people breaking in don't know if
	    the account is valid.  Since the username was noise the
	    login is invalid, so login exits.

	3.  Some time later init notices that nothing is running on
	    on the tty line, so it starts another getty.  Goto #1.
	    Init is (or should be) smart enough to see if this happens
	    with great frequency and scribbles a message to syslog,
	    and waits a short time before restarting the getty.

	4.  Symtoms: Lots of system calls, lots of time spent in
	    kernel mode and lots of forks.

	    Solution: All activeated tty lines should be connected
	    to terminals and the terminals should be turned on.

--
Alan Rollow				alan@nabeth.enet.dec.com

rusty@garnet.berkeley.edu (01/02/90)

   From: grr@cbmvax.commodore.com (George Robbins)
   Newsgroups: comp.unix.ultrix,comp.sys.dec
   Subject: 5810 installation report
   Date: 30 Dec 89 09:01:39 GMT

   Well, the my 5810 is now "installed" and seems to work.

   A couple of problems/notes...

      Apparently you can also access the tape as a block device as
      /dev/tu1, but the utiltity of this is left to your imagination.

You should be able to mount it as a normal unix filesystem.
--

--------------------------------------
	rusty c. wright

In article <561@shodha.dec.com> alan@shodha.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) writes:
> In article <9179@cbmvax.commodore.com>, grr@cbmvax.commodore.com (George Robbins) writes:
> >

> 	1.  The getty with the line open, sees noise and thinks...
> 	2.  Login searchs the password file for the noise and prompts...
> 	3.  Some time later init notices that nothing is running on...
> 	4.  Symtoms: Lots of system calls, lots of time spent in
> 	    kernel mode and lots of forks...

This isn't entirely convincing.  I've buy some if I had some kind of grotty
wire attached, but this is a bare distribution panel.

What seems to be happening is that the getty sitting there getting buzzed.
No forking going on (vmstat -f) and it's always the same getty sitting there.
No messages going to syslog either.  Kind of hard to to tell if it's pounding
the passwd file as you suggest.

> 	    Solution: All activeated tty lines should be connected
> 	    to terminals and the terminals should be turned on.

This is less than practical...