[comp.unix.ultrix] DEC3100, vi, and .exrc

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) (01/01/90)

On my SysV box, I can have a .exrc in my $HOME directory, and vi
picks it up no matter what my cwd happens to be.  Ultrix 3.1 on the
DEC3100 doesn't seem to want to do this -- it only finds the .exrc
if my cwd is ~me.  I've rtfm'd the best I can, but to no avail.

Any answers/suggestions/constructive flames? :-)
--
J. Eric Townsend
University of Houston Dept. of Mathematics

In article <1990Jan1.020122.8785@lavaca.uh.edu> jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) writes:

> On my SysV box, I can have a .exrc in my $HOME directory, and vi
> picks it up no matter what my cwd happens to be.  Ultrix 3.1 on the
> DEC3100 doesn't seem to want to do this -- it only finds the .exrc
> if my cwd is ~me.  I've rtfm'd the best I can, but to no avail.
>
> Any answers/suggestions/constructive flames? :-)

Fill out an SPR 8-).

Note that "mail" also screws up (or did a couple releases back) the same way -
If you put "record=x" in your .mailrc, it's supposed be home directory relative
but isn't.

rouben@math9.math.umbc.edu (Rouben Rostamian) (01/02/90)

In article <9180@cbmvax.commodore.com> grr@cbmvax.commodore.com (George Robbins) writes:
|In article <1990Jan1.020122.8785@lavaca.uh.edu> jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
|>

|> On my SysV box, I can have a .exrc in my $HOME directory, and vi
|> picks it up no matter what my cwd happens to be.  Ultrix 3.1 on the
|> DEC3100 doesn't seem to want to do this -- it only finds the .exrc
|> if my cwd is ~me.  I've rtfm'd the best I can, but to no avail.
|>
|> Any answers/suggestions/constructive flames? :-)
|
|Fill out an SPR 8-).
|
|Note that "mail" also screws up (or did a couple releases back) the same way -
|If you put "record=x" in your .mailrc, it's supposed be home directory relative
|but isn't.

I have no such problem with my DECstation 3100.   I suspect that both of you
have the EXINIT environment defined in your .cshrc or .login.  Get rid of
that and then vi will always read $HOME/.exrc regardless of the cwd.

--
Rouben Rostamian                               Telephone: (301) 455-2458
Department of Mathematics and Statistics       e-mail: