[comp.unix.ultrix] DECserver 200 3.0 Software Fun

One of the things that came with my 5810 was "DECserver 200 Release 3.0"
software.  I don't know when this was actually released, but the CSC
people were talking about it last summer.

It has a number of improvments, like being able to remotely alter port
speed and other characteristics, set per server prompts and various
bug fixes.  The CSC people also suggested that it might give better
performance than earlier versions but weren't very specific.

One thing that isn't mentioned in the release notes is that the reponse
to the remote console port (ultrix ccr command) is much better than with
the 2.0 software.  It seemed so much better that I decided to see if I
could use a script to change a bunch of setup stuff, rather than doing it
by hand.

Amazingly enough, it worked fine!  Below is the script I ended up with,
it's pretty obvious how to modify it to execute other command sequences...

#! /bin/sh
#
# this procedure executes the list of commands in the loop for each
# of the servers listed in the for statement.  Most of the sleep
# statments could probably be omitted, but they seem to insure that
# the script never "gets ahead" of the server
#
for server in pcbts boxts dogsts mez2ts mez1ts micets \
	ratsts toyts servts dialts mants catsts amixts \
	lsits qats labts exects
do
    echo "**** doing ${server} ****"
    (
	echo ""
	sleep 1
	echo access
	sleep 1
	echo me
	sleep 1
	echo set priv
	sleep 1
	echo system
	sleep 1
	echo set prompt "\"${server}> \""
	sleep 1
	echo define prompt "\"${server}> \""
	sleep 1
	echo show server
	sleep 5
    ) | ccr ${server}
    echo "**** done ${server} ****"
done

mjb@acd4.UUCP ( Mike Bryan ) (01/02/90)

In article <9184@cbmvax.commodore.com> grr@cbmvax.commodore.com (George Robbins) writes:
>One of the things that came with my 5810 was "DECserver 200 Release 3.0"
>software.
>One thing that isn't mentioned in the release notes is that the reponse
>to the remote console port (ultrix ccr command) is much better than with
>the 2.0 software.  It seemed so much better that I decided to see if I
>could use a script to change a bunch of setup stuff, rather than doing it
>by hand.
>
>Amazingly enough, it worked fine!  Below is the script I ended up with,
>it's pretty obvious how to modify it to execute other command sequences...

[Omitted example showing interspersed echo and sleep commands piped
into ccr.]

I just tried the same thing on Ultrix 3.1, but with DECServer 2.0
software, and it works perfectly!  After messing around with it a bit,
I discovered that the sleeps aren't needed at all.  I have a file
with DECServer commands such as this:

ccr.commands:

access
mjb
show server
show sessions all
show users

(That's six lines total, including the first blank line used to get the
initial "#" prompt for the remote console.)

You can then issue the command "cat ccr.commands | ccr DSRV04", and it
will work perfectly.  Use of the pipe is the important thing, simple
input redirection, such as "ccr DSRV04 <ccr.commands" does *not* work,
as ccr will get "stuck".  Apparently ccr is doing some sort of ioctl()
which fails on a file, but not on a terminal or pipe.

Note that I also checked this on Ultrix 2.3, and it does *not* work.
The ccr program appears to want input from a terminal, and a terminal
only, under 2.3.

Anyway, since we're running Ultrix 3.1, it's a good solution for us.
Thank you, George, for the inital info leading to this!  It's going
to make our DECServer management a lot easier.  [And we won't even
have to buy VMS and that multi-million dollar Terminal Server
Management software! :-) ]

--
Mike Bryan, Applied Computing Devices, 100 N Campus Dr, Terre Haute IN 47802
Phone: 812/232-6051  FAX: 812/231-5280  Home: 812/232-0815

In article <1990Jan2.151439.18234@acd4.UUCP> mjb@acd4.UUCP ( Mike Bryan          ) writes:
> In article <9184@cbmvax.commodore.com> grr@cbmvax.commodore.com (George Robbins) writes:
>
> I just tried the same thing on Ultrix 3.1, but with DECServer 2.0
> software, and it works perfectly!  After messing around with it a bit,
> I discovered that the sleeps aren't needed at all.  I have a file
> with DECServer commands such as this:
> (That's six lines total, including the first blank line used to get the
> initial "#" prompt for the remote console.)

Sounds good to me.  When I tried it, I had the stack of ~11 server and
it seem to get confused around the middle.  I'm not sure if it was a
real problem or just the output got confused or I had an error in one
of the server names at that point.

I did notice that you could blast one server with all it's commands
at full speed, at least for a finite number of commands.  You might also
want to try with the system and/or server heavily loaded to see if things
fall apart.

The problem is that the DECserver command port is basically half-duplex and
tosses input when it's not ready for it.  Perhaps there some "wait for carriage
return after sending carriage return" interlocking that works for commands
with null response, but might fail when you do something like a "show server".
Of course for most "control" applications you just want to stuff it and
not worry about feedback other than errors.