[comp.unix.ultrix] Risc F77 compiler problems

hurf@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Hurf Sheldon) (01/05/90)

Fowarded from one of our researchers:

I have a problem with the Risc f77 compiler.  the following program will
not run:

      program test
      call sub  ('sub')
      call sub1 ('sub1',a1)
      call sub2 ('sub2 entry',a2,a3)
      stop
      end
      subroutine sub (c0)
      character*(*) c0,c1,c2
      print *,c0
      return
      entry sub1(c1,a1)
      a1 = 1
      print *,c1,a1
      return
      entry sub2(c2,a2,a3)
      a2 = 1
      a3 = 1
      print *,c2,a2,a3
      return
      end

it gives essentially a segmentation fault.  i tried turning off the
optimizer and other options but nothing worked.  the above program
construction is valid in fortran 77, and the same program runs on our vax
under either f77 or fort commands.

if this construction is strictly not allowed on risc then the
installation of the our code will be set back at least a month
and probably longer to allow for reorganization of the code!

----

any ideas?
anybody we can talk to?

I understand there is a new release coming - we can get permission to use
a beta version if it will fix this.

thanks again,

hurf

--
     Hurf Sheldon			 Network: hurf@ionvax.tn.cornell.edu
     Lab of Plasma Studies		  Bitnet: hurf@CRNLION

mikem+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Meyer) (01/05/90)

> Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.dec: 4-Jan-90 Risc F77 compiler problems
> Hurf Sheldon@batcomputer (1346)

> I have a problem with the Risc f77 compiler.  the following program will
> not run:

>       program test
>       call sub  ('sub')
>       call sub1 ('sub1',a1)
>       call sub2 ('sub2 entry',a2,a3)
>       stop
>       end
>       subroutine sub (c0)
>       character*(*) c0,c1,c2
>       print *,c0
>       return
>       entry sub1(c1,a1)
>       a1 = 1
>       print *,c1,a1
>       return
>       entry sub2(c2,a2,a3)
>       a2 = 1
>       a3 = 1
>       print *,c2,a2,a3
>       return
>       end
This program compiles and runs using the f77 2.0 compiler on the decstation.
--Mike

                            Michael M. Meyer
                      Statistics/Academic Computing
                       Carnegie Mellon University.

hoyt@bessie.alf.dec.com (Kurt Hoyt) (01/06/90)

In article <9497@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> hurf@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Hurf Sheldon) writes:
>I have a problem with the Risc f77 compiler.  the following program will
>not run:
> [program deleted]
>
>I understand there is a new release coming - we can get permission to use
>a beta version if it will fix this.

I tried this on the FT2.0 compiler and here are the results:

 sub
 sub1   1.000000
 sub2 entry   1.000000       1.000000

Here is the fort result:

sub
sub1   1.000000
sub2 entry   1.000000       1.000000

So I think I can safely say that it is fixed in the next release. Call your
local DEC office and ask them to provide you with the next release field test.

Kurt Hoyt
Digital Equipment Corporation
hoyt@decatl.alf.dec.com
"Daddy, you not people, you a GUY! Mommy a girl." -- Faith Hoyt